• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I make these changes to the this suit?

EddieK

Reaction score
So I took it to a tailor and he recommended this,
But what do you all think?

1.Add shoulder padding to eliminate wrinkling behind armpits.
2. Let out sides, so the waist suppression looks more balanced.
3. Slim sleeves, too much material there (especially on the right arm, which is a bit bigger than left)
4. Take in lower back from central seam, to eliminate unclean bunching there.

Also with the pants I noticed it does a break for some reason even if I roll it up (like I did with the left leg). So it's not that it's too long and it's causing a break (which I don't want) Maybe I should let it out a bit there so it can drape nicely?

www.imgur.com/gallery/cGvFmeN

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulders look fine. Wouldn’t touch the shoulders.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks like this jacket was taken in on the sides to shape the jacket but the armhole and the vents were not opened and reduced. If so, that is contributing to the fullness under the blades and the wrinkles at waist above the vents.
Use shoulder pads if you see diagonal pull lines from the neck to the underarm. The pad fills in the space if your shoulders are more sloping than the line of the jacket shoulder and cleans up the diagonal lines. There are no diagonal lines here, just fullness. Pads will cause other problems/issues. You don't need shoulder pads.
Trouser leg opening is too narrow for the boot, will always break. Try with a shoe.
Bonus critique; your shirt sleeve cuff circumference is too big. Reduce by moving buttons.

EddieK

Reaction score
Looks like this jacket was taken in on the sides to shape the jacket but the armhole and the vents were not opened and reduced. If so, that is contributing to the fullness under the blades and the wrinkles at waist above the vents.
Use shoulder pads if you see diagonal pull lines from the neck to the underarm. The pad fills in the space if your shoulders are more sloping than the line of the jacket shoulder and cleans up the diagonal lines. There are no diagonal lines here, just fullness. Pads will cause other problems/issues. You don't need shoulder pads.

Trouser leg opening is too narrow for the boot, will always break. Try with a shoe.
Bonus critique; your shirt sleeve cuff circumference is too big. Reduce by moving buttons.

Thanks for replying.
I think it was cut that way and it hasnt been altered Since it was MTM.
I'm wearing dress shoes by the way

What do you think of the sleeve slimming esp right arm? And if I let it out too?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
those aren't dress shoes to wear with a suit. Don't see a reason to taper the sleeves

Would not let out the jacket waist. All depends on how you want the jacket to feel, loose or hug you at the waist.

Last edited:

EddieK

Reaction score
Ok. So as is now, is it wearable by styleforum standards?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ah man, so many of these type of answers!
Ok, what's your opinion? You know your stuff really well.

I think you should limit the amount of money you pour into this garment, and just save up for a better suit.

EddieK

Reaction score
I think you should limit the amount of money you pour into this garment, and just save up for a better suit.
I don't have to spend any money on alterations. They have their own tailor.
That being said I am going try S and M M2M for the next suit.

Moose22

Reaction score
I don't have to spend any money on alterations. They have their own tailor.

Is this the same tailor who recommended the extra shoulder padding?

I don't go to a tailor with "You need to add padding" type of instructions. I told myself, if you have to ask on an internet forum, you're not the guy to instruct a professional tailor.

Go to the tailor, say "Look, this area behind the arms in just not right. And the area above the vents wrinkles. Can you fix it so that it drapes smoothly?"

If he's any good he'll know what to do and can fix it. If not, he's not worth working with, but in this case you just have to set the expectations for how it should drape and let the guy doing the work advise you. At this point, if you don't trust him, the alternative is to spend money elsewhere or follow dieworkwear's advice.

I thought the whole point of buying from a place with a tailor is that the suit -- be it off the rack or mtm or whatever -- is altered to fit you properly as part of the purchase price. If it cannot be properly altered you don't buy it, if it can the tailor should know how to do it right. You just have to point out the problem areas and talk with him about it, then let him make it right.

EddieK

Reaction score
Is this the same tailor who recommended the extra shoulder padding?

I don't go to a tailor with "You need to add padding" type of instructions. I told myself, if you have to ask on an internet forum, you're not the guy to instruct a professional tailor.

Go to the tailor, say "Look, this area behind the arms in just not right. And the area above the vents wrinkles. Can you fix it so that it drapes smoothly?"

If he's any good he'll know what to do and can fix it. If not, he's not worth working with, but in this case you just have to set the expectations for how it should drape and let the guy doing the work advise you. At this point, if you don't trust him, the alternative is to spend money elsewhere or follow dieworkwear's advice.

I thought the whole point of buying from a place with a tailor is that the suit -- be it off the rack or mtm or whatever -- is altered to fit you properly as part of the purchase price. If it cannot be properly altered you don't buy it, if it can the tailor should know how to do it right. You just have to point out the problem areas and talk with him about it, then let him make it right.
Thanks for the reply. No the tailor I went to is not the same one. Just one I googled in my area and it had decent reviews.

Those are some great points though. Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads