• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I leave verizon to buy an iphone..why or why not?

gabby11303

Reaction score
I was really wanting to like the droid so I could stay with verizon, but I was not too impressed at the store.

The only thing holding me up about going to the iphone is AT&T. I have a few neighbors who say the service is good where I live. I drive down the I270 corridor down to Washington DC every day and I'm not how the service is there. My biggest concerns is the call service and the 3G service. What is the point of having this great phone if you can't use it. Is AT&T's service really that bad?

Anyway, I keep waiting for verizon to come out with a really great phone, but they don't. Although I haven't tried the droid eris or HTC imagio.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not impressed with AT&T's 3G service. It pisses me off that I can't use my iphone to check scores and such while attending a football game.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd make sure AT&T has good coverage in your active area first, nationwide they're not as good as Verizon

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in your boat. My AT&T contract is coming to an end soon, so I'm looking at either a Motorola Droid (Verizon) or a Blackberry 9700 (AT&T or T-Mobile). The iPhone isn't even something I'm considering.

As far as I know, Verizon has a better nationwide 3G network, but AT&T's isn't too shabby either. According to some studies, in certain areas AT&T has better download speed. What used to piss me off about AT&T, in DC at least, was that you couldn't use your cell in the Metro stations (and you could with Verizon). That changed recently, and now all major carriers have antennas in the larger stations.

What's interesting though, is T-Mobile's brand new 3G network. It might be pretty badass when they're done rolling it out, if you could wait, that is.

A.K.A.

Reaction score
IF you are driving down the I-270 corridor in to work, one would think the availability of 3G coverage from Hagerstown to Bethesda is the least of your worries!

I have a Blackberry Bold for business and I am on AT&T. My coverage is fine all over the Washington metro-area, except when I head out the Mt. Vernon parkway to visit with my best friend.

I bought my wife an iPhone 3Gs this summer. She loves it; so much so, that I am considering the switch.

It would be nice to know if Verizon customers have easy access to their 3G network when attending sporting events with 100,000 other people. In that type of venue, whether in Tuscaloosa, AL or in Atlanta, GA, the AT&T circuits can be jammed, making service very spotty.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.K.A.
It would be nice to know if Verizon customers have easy access to their 3G network when attending sporting events with 100,000 other people. In that type of venue, whether in Tuscaloosa, AL or in Atlanta, GA, the AT&T circuits can be jammed, making service very spotty.
I have AT&T but never had problems with my Blackberry at sporting events, but I do with my iPhone.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gabby11303
I was really wanting to like the droid so I could stay with verizon, but I was not too impressed at the store.

The only thing holding me up about going to the iphone is AT&T. I have a few neighbors who say the service is good where I live. I drive down the I270 corridor down to Washington DC every day and I'm not how the service is there. My biggest concerns is the call service and the 3G service. What is the point of having this great phone if you can't use it. Is AT&T's service really that bad?

Anyway, I keep waiting for verizon to come out with a really great phone, but they don't. Although I haven't tried the droid eris or HTC imagio.

You can get the iphone for strictly data usage. It is $30 per month.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I do not recommend the iPhone.

I am on AT&T and am returning my iPhone 3GS today to replace with the new Blackberry Bold 9700.

I don't have any complaints about the coverage and The iPhone is neat and has lots of cool features, but the battery life is horrible.

I've had it for a week, turn it off and charge it every night from the wall outlet (not through the computer).

If I turn the phone on at 6:00 am when I get up, the battery is still nearly out of juice by 6:00 pm.

On Monday, the first full day I had the phone and I was naturally using lots of apps, the phone gave me the 20% battery warning at 3:15.

Trying to regulate how much I checked the phone, checking e-mail infrequently and only reading websites during lunch, the battery lasted until 5:00 on Tuesday.

The remainder of the week, not using the phone more than I did my previous Blackberry Curve, the phone stilll nearly died by 6:00 pm.

And this is just talking apps. When my wife called during the week and we talked for approx. 20-minutes, the battery level dropped by nearly two bars.

So, in my opinion, if you're switching networks just for the iPhone, don't waste your time.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently returned to an AT&T Blackberry and very happy w the coverage in NYC & Mass., get occasional slowness and server errors w mobile web though. But not suprised to be happy, my old service was T Mobile provided by my marsupialed ex employer.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Well, $30 on top of your phone bill.

My wife has an iphone with a data only plan. Also, you can get a voice package with the iphone but the data plan is required no matter what. Got it through the local Apple store.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Word is that by mid next year Verizon will have the Iphone.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I do not recommend the iPhone.

I am on AT&T and am returning my iPhone 3GS today to replace with the new Blackberry Bold 9700.

I don't have any complaints about the coverage and The iPhone is neat and has lots of cool features, but the battery life is horrible.

I've had it for a week, turn it off and charge it every night from the wall outlet (not through the computer).

If I turn the phone on at 6:00 am when I get up, the battery is still nearly out of juice by 6:00 pm.

On Monday, the first full day I had the phone and I was naturally using lots of apps, the phone gave me the 20% battery warning at 3:15.

Trying to regulate how much I checked the phone, checking e-mail infrequently and only reading websites during lunch, the battery lasted until 5:00 on Tuesday.

The remainder of the week, not using the phone more than I did my previous Blackberry Curve, the phone stilll nearly died by 6:00 pm.

And this is just talking apps. When my wife called during the week and we talked for approx. 20-minutes, the battery level dropped by nearly two bars.

So, in my opinion, if you're switching networks just for the iPhone, don't waste your time.

+100. I have run into the very same problem with the battery life. For my daily phone calls and e-mail, the battery life is much too short. I have to recharge during the day, and it's not always convenient or possible for me to do so.

tc6

Reaction score
I've had Verizon for 4 years now, hands down it has the best 3G and phone service anywhere. I've probably been in 4-5 places in the past year where I didn't get service.

fasterstill

Reaction score
TT has been awful for me, the network just gets crushed by so many iphone users pulling down massive data. For as great as the iphone is if you are dropping 3 out of ten calls is insane. I switched to a palm pre and while the phone is not as good I have only dropped 1 call in 3 months

just my $.02

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads