• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I join a CSA?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I would like to eat more vegetables and support local farmers in the process. We're expection our first child some time next week, and expect to be making out own baby food in a few months. Is it worth it to join a CSA, or will we be burried under 100 pounds of turnips?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I really enjoyed it when I was part of one. You get semi-useless bunches of nettles sometimes, but the only reason I stopped was because I go to the farmer's market every weekend and prefer to select my own produce (our pickup time and location was inconvenient as well). If you don't eat at home most nights already or know what to do with a bunch of greens and roots, a lot of it may go to waste. Otherwise, seems perfect timing. Congratulations by the way.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Is it worth it to join a CSA, or will we be burried under 100 pounds of turnips?
this ... but that's not necessarily a bad thing. one thing csas do is force you to try vegetables you might not have much experience with. turnips are one of my favorites. kale, too. and beets. all csa staples.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
this ... but that's not necessarily a bad thing. one thing csas do is force you to try vegetables you might not have much experience with. turnips are one of my favorites. kale, too. and beets. all csa staples.

I have been making a lot of stuff with kale this winter, and am ******* sick of it. Still fun to make little chips in the oven though.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love kale. secret is to cook it very slowly until it's very tender. also good in salads ... might seem tough, but shred it, dress it and then rub it briskly with your hands ... that breaks down the leaf enough that it's tender.
never have gotten kale chips. sorry.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
never have gotten kale chips. sorry.

What's not to get? Salty little chips with kale flavor.

Thanks for the salad advice, I'll try that. I guess I'm just sick of kale from the 4 bunches that went into the dish I made this past weekend, which turned out a little unpleasant. Other than that I've been making Ribollita, which I still enjoy.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ribollita + barbera = heaven.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
ribollita + barbera = heaven.

Ribollita Barbera sounds like an Italian spy identity that Vox would make up.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
Ribollita Barbera sounds like an Italian spy identity that Vox would make up.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So worth it. If I didn't live in abject poverty (both geographically and personally) I would do it in a heartbeat.

Ugggh the life of a student....

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
So worth it. If I didn't live in abject poverty (both geographically and personally) I would do it in a heartbeat. Ugggh the life of a student....
What's for dinner this week? Rice and a slice of bread?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
So worth it. If I didn't live in abject poverty (both geographically and personally) I would do it in a heartbeat. Ugggh the life of a student....
Buy one less pair of designer man leggings and you will eat fresh produce for months. The sale price of that jacket you're unloading is equivalent to almost 15 months of the CSA I was part of.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads