• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I go to Art School?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
yes. Art schools provide 1. technical equipments for your work 2. opportunities for display 3. potential affiliated market, alumni + community + internet venues 4. opportunities to network (with other artists) 5. opportunity to study nude models.
1. Very little that you can't buy for less than the 20-80k for tuition. 2. You only need that guaranteed opportunity to display if you otherwise couldn't find a place. So for that to be of value your work would likely be not very good, which means you shouldn't waste your time anyway. 3/4 Emphasis on "potential". It's a ton of money for no guarantee of absolutely anything. You might get it in a door because of some exposure, but quality work is really the only thing that maintains client interest. There is also bit of a stigma against art school graduates in some fields you might want to enter. Just a warning, but it's out there. Networking is valuable I guess, but it's availability is not exclusive to a school. 5. Probably the best reason to go, although you'll be drawing as many bananas as melons.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
And keep it mind that nobody at art school is happy. It's a terribly depressing atmosphere to be around for the 23 hours of the day you aren't high.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
And keep it mind that nobody at art school is happy. It's a terribly depressing atmosphere to be around for the 23 hours of the day you aren't high.

Lol. The only thing I can't stand about art students is their aversion to proper grooming/dressing. They always seem to tether between skater punk and vintage chic, according to a very beguiled self-interpretation of contemporary trends. Okay, I kid. I was a film major so while it was fun it has proven to be quite useless, unfortunately.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
23 hours? that's a generous view of my lifestyle.
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
Lol. The only thing I can't stand about art students is their aversion to proper grooming/dressing. They always seem to tether between skater punk and vintage chic, according to a very beguiled self-interpretation of contemporary trends. Okay, I kid. I was a film major so while it was fun it has proven to be quite useless, unfortunately.
I'm sort of accidentally a punk. But the real reason i didn't shower is we didn't have a working one in my place for like a month. Of course the richest dude I hang out with is a MICA student. I actually used his shower when we didn't have one.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My parents both graduated with degrees in design (though from a major university which forced them to take other real classes, not a small art school). I don't think however that either of them ever had any delusions of making a living off people who see their stuff and say "ooh that's pretty, I would like to give you money."

My cousin just finished at MCAD, concentrating on illustration. Somehow, she has become a tattoo artist...and she was one of the most sheltered, not-tattoo-parlor-crowd people I know (and has now given herself tats...how badass). I don't think she plans to make it permanent as illustration is another thing coming out of art school that is more marketable. Its not like painting where if nobody thinks much of your "fine art," you can be hard pressed for anything that isn't waiting tables.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. My little brother is currently finishing up at the art school you're thinking about, and it seems to me that it has largely been a waste of time. His art has not improved at all since he entered the school, and he will graduate with no art-related job opportunities.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
A timely CNN piece on "Degress that Don't Pay."
crackup[1].gif

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/...degrees/4.html

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost ended up going to an art school (a very low key one located in rhode island). i grew up in the area and well the other low key rhode island university it flanks made it ground zero for rich spoiled brats.

but there are some genuinely talented people there.

of my 3 friends that did graduate from design of school island rhode, one is a rich graphic designer (he was in front of the wave of computer design), one almost died of a heroin overdose, and one teaches art class in HS in southern california.

its up to you, if you're well connected and then go into art history you may land interesting jobs at museums/universities/ect but in the end it still going to be how good your work is and if its viable commercially.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Probably a valid criticism. I don't want to go to "become an artist" though. I want to go so I have a degree in the field and higher eligibility for salaried jobs.

The most appealing thing about art school for me right now is the access it would give me to technology and apparatus necessary for more elaborate sculptural, electronic or interactive pieces. Also the technical know-how to use such.

What salaried jobs? I bet they're all ridiculously low-paying and still there will be hordes of people with ill-advised art degrees just begging for them. That's life in the arts. Go get a degree in something practical.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"get a degree in something practical" people don't get it.

If you can walk away from art school with no debt, do it - less than the name, there's a culture that's good for you in crit and interacting with your peers. If you live in certain urban areas, maybe you can find a replacement for that outside of school - but for most people, 'art school' is the best place to find it.

If you're walking away from art-school with $20-100k in debt, **** that ****. I looked at the Pacific Northwest College of Art and some others in the tier below RISD and SVA. The expense just isn't justifiable compared to an in-state university art program, IMO.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you do want a BFA for the paper qualities (jobs, etc.), be realistic about what you'll ultimately need - are you going to need two more years and $50k more for an MFA to get your desired positions?

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** yeah! I went to CalArts MFA '98 and art school was a dream of mine since I was a kid.

I thought, either I buy a Jaguar or a go to Art School, best decision I ever made.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High school buddy got an appointment to the Air Force Academy (for fencing, of all things) - his dad promised him a Corvette after graduation (for saving $100k in tuition) but he still dropped out during the summer session when they just break you into AFA life.

He's now a urologist and dead boring. Should have stuck to his fighter pilot dream.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm shocked that more people don't pursue unpaid apprenticeships in creative fields instead of paying for school. If I could do it all again, I'd go straight into work from high school as an unpaid floor sweeper, and after five years, there isn't a doubt in my mind I'd be much farther ahead of graduates. It would be unfair. I was into the college atmosphere that much anyway.

rvan

Reaction score
I went to art school for a four year BFA in graphic design. I think unless you have a career path in mind and the ability to get internships and other experience before you graduate you are better off going to school at a univeristy.

I've been out of school for two years and many of my friends who graduated in fine arts are working the same jobs in fast food and retail.

When it comes to interactive work you are much more flexible when it comes to your career, you can work freelance if you are good at keeping yourself busy and billing your clients.

Find a school that really interests you and has a creative enviroment, don't base it soley on the campus and the professors, they aren't guaranteed to stay.

Whatever you do, stay away from the AI's. They will steal your money, change the teachers and classes every semester, and give you zero skills to use in your professional career. Stick with institutes not driven by advertising.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads