• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I go for different shoulder measurements (MTM)??

Jay687

Reaction score
My left shoulder is about 1 cm longer than my right. So 44.5cm yoke fits my left perfectly. 42.5 cm fits my right perfectly. I ideally need a 43.5cm yoke with my left shoulder 1cm longer than my right. Or something like that.

Now, if I went bespoke or to a tailor in person... I'd feel a bit more confident with this. I'm doing online MTM (MT) and while I do have faith, I'm curious if it is worth having them try to accomodate this.

The one thing I've been thinking about is that I lift weights and wanted to maybe try to even my shoulders via muscle. However, I don't think muscle really makes much of a different in where your shoulder stops. The bone is still going to be located there regardless, so I'd still have slightly uneven shoulders, no?

So... options:

1. deal with it
2. let MT try to fix it
3. go wit the yoke that fits the bigger shoulder and get the other shoulder tailored in... that possible?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay687
3. go wit the yoke that fits the bigger shoulder and get the other shoulder tailored in... that possible?

That **** will look funny.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will a centimeter really make that much of a difference?

No jokes please.

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay687
My left shoulder is about 1 cm longer than my right. So 44.5cm yoke fits my left perfectly. 42.5 cm fits my right perfectly. I ideally need a 43.5cm yoke with my left shoulder 1cm longer than my right. Or something like that.

Now, if I went bespoke or to a tailor in person... I'd feel a bit more confident with this. I'm doing online MTM (MT) and while I do have faith, I'm curious if it is worth having them try to accomodate this.

The one thing I've been thinking about is that I lift weights and wanted to maybe try to even my shoulders via muscle. However, I don't think muscle really makes much of a different in where your shoulder stops. The bone is still going to be located there regardless, so I'd still have slightly uneven shoulders, no?

So... options:

1. deal with it
2. let MT try to fix it

Option 4. Grow your nails on the shorter side 1 cm long. Wear a wrist watch on the longer side. Walk with a tilt. Develop you trapezoid muscles online on one side. Find a magician that can grow your arm, that, or a xtian person...

jackgibbs

Reaction score
mt has a shoulder measurement, beyond the yoke measurement, taken from the collar to the shoulder seam. I think this is usually used to account for shoulder slope, but if you explain your situation in the comment field, I'm sure they can make one half of the yoke slightly longer.

I would definitely order the cheapest possible fabric, with none of the options, to see how it comes out first, though, 'cause even if it's executed perfectly, it might still look weird. I dunno.

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jackgibbs
mt has a shoulder measurement, beyond the yoke measurement, taken from the collar to the shoulder seam. I think this is usually used to account for shoulder slope, but if you explain your situation in the comment field, I'm sure they can make one half of the yoke slightly longer.

I would definitely order the cheapest possible fabric, with none of the options, to see how it comes out first, though, 'cause even if it's executed perfectly, it might still look weird. I dunno.

That doesn't make sense. His hands will still end in the same place. Therefore you are adding to the problem. slanted shoulder line, and uneven sleeve... -_-

jackgibbs

Reaction score
no, I mean if you tell them that your shoulders are two different lengths in the comments in addition to making one shoulder a little longer in the measurement field, maybe they can use that measurement to move the placement of the collar in relation to the overall yoke, so it's a little off center to correct for the different length shoulders.

but again, this makes sense in my head, but it might not work or look awful in practice. I have no idea. that would be a question for shirtmaven

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads