• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I give up on leather-soled shoes?

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
How much do you weigh?

If you dont like the leather soles, by all means get rubber. No shame in that.

eek.gif

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may get lynched for saying this but I find Bruno Maglis to be the absolutely most comfortable leather soled shoes I own. (I have two pairs.)

Also, despite the "too soft" leather and cheap construction my three year old pair still looks fantastic and shows almost no wear.

Also, for rubber soled shoes, you may want to try Goodyear welted Mephisto shoes. They can be bought cheap on eBay and come in a few decent styles.

yo!

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

As for the size issues, It could very well be that I am not a 11D. All stores carry shoes in D width, some carry them in Wide, and pretty much no-one carries Narrow shoes which if anything I suspect that I am a narrow. I have had one shoe saleswoman claim that I am a 12A (fit to the larger foot). Could it be possible that I am a 12A foot and I usually fit fine into 11D? Some shoes feel a little small lengthwise but I have never felt that they were too wide.

As for Tarmac's question, I am 6'1" and a muscular 185. (I sure hope that it is muscle because I haven't lost any weight even at month 6 of my marathon training.)

And to clarify, I LOVE leather-soled shoes. It is just that all of the ones that are attainable to me seem to be of the very tough hard leather.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
As much as I like AE, they beat the daylights out of my feet. The leather is pretty tough, and so I'd suggest they might not be ideal for this purpose.

We may have been through this before, but my experience is the opposite. I find AE footbeds to be some of the most comfortable around.

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
I still don't understand what this thread has to do with leather soled shoes. The real issue here is that you need to find shoes that fit better (or have softer leather) and you'll be fine.

dk123

Reaction score
I agree with the earlier poster who suggested the shoes may be too small. The times when I've had this problem have been due to the shoes being so tight that the leather at the top back of the shoe cuts into my foot. It seems that many people on here advocate buying shoes that are on the small side, but I think this is really problematic from a comfort sense, at least in my own experience.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
We may have been through this before, but my experience is the opposite. I find AE footbeds to be some of the most comfortable around.

I don't have any trouble with the footbeds, but the leather itself has little give, in my experience. EGs will stretch a bit as they break in, but not my AEs. Also, the higher volume of AE shoes makes it easier for them to slip around on my feet.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a pair of made in India, Bostonian Malden wingtips for over a decade now and they are corrected grain. After I first wore them, I thought I had discovered the perfect torture device! The leather was so hard on my achilles and dug into the tops of my feet but I couldn't afford another pair until a few more pay periods. I then bought a pair of new Alden captoe bals on sale in downtown Boston that felt like slippers. Perfect fit and soft leather.

I think the problem is surely the corrected grain and not the heel. The Bostonians took about 8 years of very irregular use ( why wear them when I had Santoni, AE, Vintage Florsheim, etc for daily workhorses) to soften enough to be loosely called comfortable. After about 12 years I've finally worn a hole through the sole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads