• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I get these shoes?

BlvdDandy

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....85&rd=1 Things I know: - I have big feet, and I like to think loafers make them look smaller - RLPL sells good things - EG makes good things - the price is right - I like the color - I have almost no dress (read: non-sneaker) shoes, or shoes I like that I could wear with suits Things I don't know: - Anything about shoes - Are these ugly - Are they real - Will they fit - Could I waer them with a suit As you can see, I'm pretty clueless. Any help?

dorian

Reaction score
Get them. I have a pair, which I bought off eBay two years ago. They are really my favorite shoes. The leather and the patina is exquisite after just a few wears. If they weren't a full size off, I would purchase them as a second pair, without hesitation.

btw, they are not really shoes for suits - although you could...

They are beautifully crafted on one of the nicest EG lasts, in my opinion, 100.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$200 for a pair of new EGs?.? The only downside is that all your other shoes will suddenly seem so lacking. If you hate them (how would that be possible) or they don't fit, I can't imagine you'd have trouble recouping your purchase price.

dan

BlvdDandy

Reaction score
Hmm, so close to buying them. I like that you think I'll be able to resell them if they don't fit. The only thing that concerns me is the suit issue. Really not appropriate for suit wear? That might prevent me. But they're so pretty...

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're really nice and seem to be a great deal. As to the continuing question of suits and loafers, this is a pretty dressy loafer (unadorned, with the medallion). If your suit is not too dressy, say a tan cotton poplin or wool gabardine, IMO, I don't see a major problem.

BlvdDandy

Reaction score
Ok I'm getting really close...

What if I'm the kind of person who would wear loafers withs suits anyways (I'm not saying I am guys, I'm just trying to talk myself into these shoes). If that was the case, does anything about the color or design of these shoes make them particularly unfit for use with say, a classic charcoal or navy suit? Or the objection just to loafers in general?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loafers are generally casual, in many's opinion. In America, though, loafers are generally acceptable business wear, just not particularly formal. These loafers, though relatively dressy, seem pretty light in color, and might be tough to match with a charcoal or navy suit. That said, if you have the cash and will wear them, that's a price you won't see every day. Someone will buy them soon.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm getting really close...

What if I'm the kind of person who would wear loafers withs suits anyways (I'm not saying I am guys, I'm just trying to talk myself into these shoes). If that was the case, does anything about the color or design of these shoes make them particularly unfit for use with say, a classic charcoal or navy suit? Or the objection just to loafers in general?
Aside from discussions, often heated, on whether you can wear any loafers with suits, there has also been discussion that tan shoes will look better with a navy suit than with charcoal. Years ago, Brooks Brothers offered a "Peal" (made by Edward Green) dress wing-tip loafer that this shoe closely resembles including the wingtip and the high vamp. Do you know whether they will fit?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are EG.. but the styling is not for me though. I do not know what's the styling you look for, but when it comes to quality, EG is among the top.

oldskool

Reaction score
get them, they are beutiful... worst case you sell them on e-bay.

oldskool

Reaction score
http://www.bluefly.com/pages....duct+ID or get these and you can return them...
devil.gif

dorian

Reaction score
The shoes in question are on the 100 last. It is incredibly comfortable - certainly more so than the 89 (RL's choice last). I really think you should just get them. You thank me. And you can always resell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads