• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I get Knize 10

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
That writing is pretty ******.

Actually I like it: it blends history with relevant comparisons and in the process tells us just how well-rounded and smart he really thinks he is. I generally like his writing. But if you really want concise: read a review of something he does NOT like.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Actually I like it: it blends history with relevant comparisons and in the process tells us just how well-rounded and smart he really thinks he is. I generally like his writing. But if you really want concise: read a review of something he does NOT like.

I agree with this, though think about it differently. It is very hard for a written review to tell me what a fragrance will smell like. The good ones will give you an idea, but unless the reader has synched up his vocabulary and reference smells with the writer, the gap between words and smell is too great. Instead, I like reviews that tell me about the fragrance - where it fits in the world, what it evokes, a little about who made it and how and why. The review will still be subjective, but at least I learn something. From that perspective, I think Turin is among the best.

turbozed

Reaction score
It just comes across as pretentious and overbearing. It's like the literary equivalent of wearing too much cologne. For instance, as time passes, you'll find fewer people that know anybody on this earth. Why just Napoleon? It seems as if he chooses that specific quote just so he can evoke a stately sounding french name like Alphonse Allais (or whatever the hell it is) and then drop "Grand Armee" on us to sound even more sophisticated. It's stupid and pretentious. Also, I'm sure it can be said of the worst smelling thing on the market that 'there is only one like it' but this doesn't necessarily mean we should run out and get it. I can appreciate good prose when I see one but I think that dude's style evokes flowery emptiness. It 'gently kisses my lips' but leaves a foul odor of bullshit.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It just comes across as pretentious and overbearing. It's like the literary equivalent of wearing too much cologne.

Doesn't it at least interest you to get a glimpse at what's behind the juice in the bottles? Admittedly he sometimes falls in love with his knowledge, but I'd rather read someone who cares than, say, Chandler Burr who seems to read the perfumer's brief and then tell us the names of the synthetic compounds that went into the bottle.

How boring would it be to read: smells like XXXX, YYYYY, and CCCC. When it dries down it smells like ..... And besides: the smells vary depending on skin chemistry anyway (not a lot, but still), AND they smell different on paper than on skin: see the reviews for Mona di Orio - a few people I trust have her perfumes and tell me that they are indeed vile on paper (Turin savages each one with a special bile)...but magnificent on skin. Reviewing from that perspective is tricky business, might as well talk a little bit about some other aspect of it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For instance, as time passes, you'll find fewer people that know anybody on this earth. Why just Napoleon? It seems as if he chooses that specific quote just so he can evoke a stately sounding french name like Alphonse Allais (or whatever the hell it is) and then drop "Grand Armee" on us to sound even more sophisticated. It's stupid and pretentious.

Well, you can't really say he didn't get your attention with his review. So what if he drops names that only the Frenchys can pronounce? We can agree to disagree.

turbozed

Reaction score
Doesn't it at least interest you to get a glimpse at what's behind the juice in the bottles? Admittedly he sometimes falls in love with his knowledge, but I'd rather read someone who cares than, say, Chandler Burr who seems to read the perfumer's brief and then tell us the names of the synthetic compounds that went into the bottle.

How boring would it be to read: smells like XXXX, YYYYY, and CCCC. When it dries down it smells like ..... And besides: the smells vary depending on skin chemistry anyway (not a lot, but still), AND they smell different on paper than on skin: see the reviews for Mona di Orio - a few people I trust have her perfumes and tell me that they are indeed vile on paper (Turin savages each one with a special bile)...but magnificent on skin. Reviewing from that perspective is tricky business, might as well talk a little bit about some other aspect of it.

Explanation above. I would probably agree with you that what you mention is a good perspective. I just don't think he really achieves it well. Maybe it's unfair to judge the author on one paragraph. It's just the initial impression I got.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So the decant arrived today and it's better than I recall. Lots better. I think you'd like this.

Snoopysniffer

Reaction score
The most obvious answer is not if you can find Knize 2. Ten smells like 4710 or something like it. Why did Knize stop making 2 anyway? Does anyone have an answer?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads