1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

should i get a dog?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by thekunk07, Nov 12, 2008.

1. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

my son has been asking for a dog for three years. wife is not thrilled with the idea. we have a failry small house but it's big enough, and a sizeable yard. my 2 other sons are all for it. what should i do? can any of you with kids and dogs share your experience?

2. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

let your son(s) have a dog.

i had a couple but we gave both away.
    one bit me all the time. the other one was constantly depressed.

are cats out of the question?

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I'd say hell to tha muthafuckin yes get a dog. But if your wife is going to be unhappy with it... I dunno son.

4. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Tell your sons that if you are elected as POTUS, you will get them a dog.

It worked for a cute pair of sisters and one lucky dad.

5. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

What kind of dog? size? Bigger the dog, more mess to clean up. Also, what's the excercise need of the dog?

How committed are you/your sons to taking care of dog. It's gotta be walked, fed, bathed, house trained, taken to the vet....etc.

It's a lot of work. I had a rottweiler. It was a lot of work.

Did I mention it was a lot of work?

People fantasize about all the good aspects of having a pet, but when it's 2 in the morning and the dog needs to go out and pee/shit, and there's 6" snow out, and you can't get the person who orginally wanted the dog in the first place to take the dog out, then you are stuck.

This is a living being. This is not a stuffed animal or some inanimate object. Think of it as another baby/child. Are you ready for another baby/child?

6. Homme

Homme Senior member

Get one. Given the vast number of different breeds, there's sure to be one possessing behaviourial / physical characteristics ideal for your family + home.

7. celery

celery Senior member

Don't get one.

Your kids will love it for a short amount of time. But after the "new toy" feeling has worn off you will be stuck taking the dog for walks, picking up it's poop, going to the vet, buying million pound bags of dog food and yelling at the dog everytime it gets on your nerves (like when you have guests over and it jumps all over wife's friend's brand new dress).

The idea of getting a dog always surpasses actually having one. Unless you are one of those dog lovers, but if you were, you'd already have a dog.

Dogs are living creatures. They require attention and upkeep (which can be costly). So don't get one if you aren't ready to take care of it all by yourself.

8. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

do it do it do it! although i'm curious why the wife has reservations.

-Jeff

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Do it! however...

Get a male only if you hate your carpet.

10. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Good reasons to get a dog:

1) The kid has been asking for one for years.
    2) The wife doesn't like it

Reality:

You're walking it at midnight in the middle of a New York snow storm.

11. FlyingLotus

FlyingLotus Senior member

I love dogs, they make great companions and are basically another addition to the family.
    Tons of responsibility though, gotta take it out for walks, bathroom breaks, and give it lots of love & attention!

12. e23

e23 Senior member

Dogs are the best, they want nothing but love.

13. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Don't get one.

Your kids will love it for a short amount of time. But after the "new toy" feeling has worn off you will be stuck taking the dog for walks, picking up it's poop, going to the vet, buying million pound bags of dog food and yelling at the dog everytime it gets on your nerves (like when you have guests over and it jumps all over wife's friend's brand new dress).

The idea of getting a dog always surpasses actually having one. Unless you are one of those dog lovers, but if you were, you'd already have a dog.

Dogs are living creatures. They require attention and upkeep (which can be costly). So don't get one if you aren't ready to take care of it all by yourself.

Couldn't have said it better.

14. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

No. They are dirty and they smell. They will catch threads on your clothes when pawing at you and leave fur all over the house. Did I mention that they smell? [​IMG] Oh, and they also ruin furniture. My father held out for years against getting a dog. When we moved to quebec he caved for some reason. The house was never clean again.

15. kronik

kronik Senior member

GQGeek is a douche.

Yes, get a dog if you're ready to have a dog. Don't get one for the kids as it will turn out to be yours and your wife's. Of course, she may dislike the idea now but warm up to it once it's in the house which is fairly common.

If you're concerned with shedding and such, you could get one of those new mutt breeds i.e. Labradoodles; I've seen some good looking large ones though they've all been extremely... active.

16. DNW

DNW Senior member

Do you like dogs? If you do, then go ahead and get one. If you don't, you'd better train your kids really well so they can take care of the dogs.

I personally don't care for pets. They're animals and shouldn't be contained in small spaces. But, to each his own. My gf loves dogs, so one day we might have to get one. If we ever do, she's going to be 95% responsible for the dog.

17. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

If you're concerned with shedding and such, you could get one of those new mutt breeds i.e. Labradoodles; I've seen some good looking large ones though they've all been extremely... active.

Yes, they will not shed on your floor, but they will still shit and vomit on it from time to time. One of our dogs used to eat its own shit and then vomit. I never quite figured that one out.

18. kronik

kronik Senior member

My dog has never shit on the floor. Thrown up once, I believe.

The cats are another story entirely when it comes to vomit; enter the Bissell SpotBot.

Frankly, a dog is a lot of responsibility but I don't need to tell a parent of two this.

19. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

Dogs are the best but as all have said, a massive responsibility. Mine died recently and it's been pretty awful. I miss him constantly but I don't think there will be another one as I am not really set up for it.

20. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dogs are awesome, and they will teach your kids a little responsibility. Still, you need to be up for it yourself.