• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I get a crewneck or a v-neck sweater for layering?

blackwar12

Reaction score
I plan to just wear it over polos/casual dress shirts/formal dress shirts, maybe even using a tie sometimes. I'm not sure which kind to get; I think the v-neck type looks better as long as the "v" is VERY small, to the point that the v-neck sweater is almost like a crewneck sweater. However, I'm a bit indecisive because a couple of sources I've read talk about how the crewneck is an "essential" sweater to have, a "classic", and stuff like that.

I'm looking to buy this v-neck in particular, although I think the "v" on it might be a little big to my liking...

http://cgi.ebay.com/BANANA-REPUBLIC-...#ht_3741wt_654

and here's a picture of a model wearing a similar (I think) sweater with a dress shirt under it.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...scid=719420142

Thanks

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends whether you'll be wearing a tie. Although I quite like to wear a tie with a crew-neck as well. A la:

Kingstonian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackwar12
I think the v-neck type looks better as long as the "v" is VERY small, to the point that the v-neck sweater is almost like a crewneck sweater.

I am of the opposite point of view. The V neck only looks good provided the V neck is generously sized.

tshaw

Reaction score
I much prefer crew neck sweaters. Haven't owned a v-neck in years..

T

hatguy

Reaction score
for layering, i too prefer the v neck over the crew neck.
how much do you want to see the lower layer--if more then get a v neck, if less get a crew neck.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like using vnecks for layering, that way when you have a toe you can see some of it and also more of the shirt under it.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Either one will work. You'll find your personal preference.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KingOfTheForum
IMO, that's a horrible example.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer v-necks. I have a few crewnecks, but I reach more often for my v-neck sweaters.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.