1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should I Get a Bespoke DJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jun 19, 2009.

1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

your wife begs you to get a new dj? how often do you wear it!

This year, probably five times. Three to five times a year is more or less typical. Used to be more frequent, but fewer social and charity events are black tie, and we have reached the stage in life where most of our friends have already gotten married, so that category of weddings has dropped out.

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

English is not my first language so it's not always intentional (although probably sometimes is...)

The way that you put things is often quite French.

In translation, that can often be abrupt...just the way that Americans often seem abrupt to the English.

- B

3. LaoHu

LaoHu Senior member

I think that he might be wearing Tuesday...maybe Thursday.

- B

Unless it's the weekend, then barefoot with spray on socks.

4. voxsartoria

This year, probably five times. Three to five times a year is more or less typical. Used to be more frequent, but fewer social and charity events are black tie, and we have reached the stage in life where most of our friends have already gotten married, so that category of weddings has dropped out.

Have you given any thought to appropriate shoes now that you are on the downhill slope of mortality?

- B

5. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

As long as you pick a black clothe and not midnight blue I authorize you to get one made if you ever want to. Blue DJ almost always luck cheap and not "blacker than black". Some are great though...

The Smith and Lesser midnights are really nice. In the typical dim light of a hotel ballroom, I am going to bet that they do look blacker than black. Anything brighter, and you can tell they are blue.

Still, they just look better to me than black, though since I have a hard time telling that might be psychosomatic.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

The Smith and Lesser midnights are really nice. In the typical dim light of a hotel ballroom, I am going to bet that they do look blacker than black. Anything brighter, and you can tell they are blue.

Still, they just look better to me than black, though since I have a hard time telling that might be psychosomatic.

A tailor did show me some nice "blues" out of a book (don't remember which one) that but I saw a couple of men in blue tuxedos and designers almost infallibly pick the wrong fabric when they release one. Isn't the SF dislike of black and white linked to it being made for typical black tie lightning though, wouldn't it be the occasion to embrace the purity of black/white?

7. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

As long as you pick a black clothe and not midnight blue I authorize you to get one made if you ever want to. Blue DJ almost always luck cheap and not "blacker than black". Some are great though...

"Franck, Armani doesn't make a blue tuxedo."

8. LaoHu

LaoHu Senior member

The Smith and Lesser midnights are really nice.

Do it, do it, do it!

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

"Franck, Armani doesn't make a blue tuxedo."

He also doesn't make polyester!

10. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

I vote yes. When people wear a tux they are trying to look their best. IMO, nothing will get the point across like bespoke.

11. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

If you use it so infrequently that lapel dust is a major concern, then don't. if you're going to wear it 3 or more times a year, then it may make sense.

12. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

I am probable at about 4 or maybe 5, but I think it would be nice to be able to experience 10.

That settles it then.

If you got a bespoke dinner jacket, you'd love it and actively seek opportunities to wear it. You'd have no choice but to buy expensive tickets to tedious charity balls, opera galas and the like. Many thousand of dollars down the drain as well as many evenings when you could be enjoyably egaged in filleting herrings (or whatever you are doing with your spare time now) completely wasted.

Don't risk it.

13. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

We chatted about this a few months ago. I went bespoke because nothing off-the-rack comes even remotely close to fitting me, even though I rarely need to wear a dinner jacket. My rationale clearly doesn't apply to your situation. You've got a decent version. While not perfect, it is passable.

It's not like you need much else--and, let's be serious, you're going to order something bespoke this year, whether it be another suit or jacket. Why frame the matter as one of hard utility, when adding anything to your particular wardrobe is really one of desire? You're trying to rationalize a decision you've already made in your heart. Just do it!

Mine's in Smith midnight blue mohair. Nine or ten ounces, I think. I'm not sure how it compares to the barathea, but it definitely looks blue under normal lighting.

14. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

You are right, I am going to get something. The question is, what? I have faced this many times WRT the DJ, and always concluded that, since I would get more use out of a suit, to do that instead. I am finally so stocked up on suits that now may be the time.

15. LaoHu

LaoHu Senior member

You're trying to rationalize a decision you've already made in your heart. Just do it!

+1

16. voxsartoria

You are right, I am going to get something. The question is, what? I have faced this many times WRT the DJ, and always concluded that, since I would get more use out of a suit, to do that instead. I am finally so stocked up on suits that now may be the time.

Good God, just get a bespoke dinner suit! Lacking one makes no sense for a guy who has written a book in which the merits of bespoke clothing are discussed extensively.

And pick your blue very, very carefully. My instincts tell me you would do better in a swell patterned black, but if your heart is set on blue, don't fuck it up.

- B

17. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Have you given any thought to appropriate shoes now that you are on the downhill slope of mortality?

- B

Of course. I am looking forward to when I get to wear big black orthopedic monstrosities with grace.

Maybe longwings.

18. tazmaniac

tazmaniac Senior member

I am also in the "do it" camp! I just ordered one from SR in Smiths 10/11 oz midnight barathea and I am really giddy with expectation, even more so than with suits...

19. voxsartoria

Of course. I am looking forward to when I get to wear big black orthopedic monstrosities with grace.

Maybe longwings.

As long as you sign checks with enough zeros, the charities won't mind.

At least I know that I can count on you for silk laces with the longwings.

- B

20. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

It should be SB PL though. Don't go all foof on us.

[​IMG]