Should I Exchange These Shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TheD0n, Oct 30, 2012.

1. TheD0n

TheD0n Senior member

I ordered a pair of Chruch's Consuls from Herring's (very speedy service, by the way), and upon initial inspection, I noticed a strange crease that appears on the inside of the cap stitching of the left shoe when I walk. The other shoe creases much more neatly, and without affecting the cap of the shoe.

The shoes fit well, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Edit: It seems I was wrong and that shoes don't fit well, which resulted in the unusual creasing.

Also of note is this hairline scratch on the tip of the right shoe.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

if you walk in your shoes they will crease

3. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

However, I don't think creasing on the toe cap is expected.

4. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

Exchange them if you are able. But perhaps the creasing is just due to your foot and walking style.
    It happens but you can be sure with another pair. Also, the scratch is not cool.
    Did that crease show up literally when you first put them on and walked across the room?

5. TheD0n

TheD0n Senior member

Yes, the crease location was immediate.

I intend to exchange them - which will only cost me outbound shipping back to the UK (hopefully around $25) and a few weeks of waiting.

These shoes are size UK 11F (supposedly equal to US 11.5D). However, they are still too long and strangely narrow in appearance. I usually wear US 11.5/12D, but I will exchange these for a shorter/wider UK 10.5G, which is supposedly US 11E and should be too small for me according to the size charts. We'll see...

6. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

Hope your shipping cost is worth it.
    I find UK sizing to be more a full one down than the half though I have seen some charts as you mentioned.
    Of course, every brand, last, etc. differs I guess. Unfortunately.

Good luck with the new pair, mate.

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I think G width is more akin to EE or even EEE. My understanding is that english sizes are slightly wider, as E is their medium / standard width. My US 10.5 EEE size is more like a UK 10 / 10.5 G.

In any case, the close lacings would suggest your shoe being a bit big, how about a UK 10.5 E or 10.5 F?

Someone with more shoe conversion experience might be able to offer more advice...

8. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Are those seconds?

9. jon54

jon54 Member

Are you sure the scratch was there when you bought it? If yes, I'm sure you can have it returned. The creasing you probably acquired when walking.

10. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

The scratch is a legitimate complaint.

Your crease issue baffles me - you put a crease in the shoe when you walk and you blame the shoe. Creases in shoes are a normal part of walking in them - you can't avoid them unless you stand perfectly still like a mannequin. Unusual creases like that are a sign that there is something off in the fit. Generally really poor fitting shoes get huge creases in weird places and shoes that fit well get less noticeable creases. I suspect if you exchange the shoe you will get the same crease in the next one.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  11. Percy Trimmer

Percy Trimmer Senior member

It depends on the maker. F is Church's 'standard' fitting, but I have found G is more than slightly 'wider' - more like a whole size up.

12. TheD0n

TheD0n Senior member

The scratch has polish in it, so it's obvious that it occurred during manufacturing sometime before the final polish.

Herring Shoes will somewhat quizzically not accept a return because the shoes have "been worn". They are making this determination without seeing the soles (which show no wear because I wore them only on carpet). I don't see how the condition of these shoes is any different than the condition of shoes tried on in a physical showroom.

I am working with them to resolve this.

Having seen the same pictures I posted here, Herring determined that the shoes are both too long and too wide. I will try order this shoe again to try to find the correct size since I like it very much. This pair is 11F, so perhaps the 10.5F will fit correctly. Any further input on sizing?

13. Incitatus

Incitatus Active Member

This has to be some kind of joke.

Of course they won't take them back. If you were returning based on the scratch, which would be legitimate, you would have to have done so before wearing them.

Wanting to return a pair of shoes because they have creased is just plain stupid.

If you are unsure on sizing, don't buy online.

14. meister

meister Senior member

UK 10.5G, which is supposedly US 11E = NOT

US11E is like UK D/F width

UK G is like EE/EEE width

15. TheD0n

TheD0n Senior member

Herring will send me a new pair at a discount, and I will resell these in the secondary market.

Thanks for your input on this issue.