Should I dry clean or launder my shirts to keep them looking new?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jkozlow3, Nov 28, 2011.

1. jkozlow3

jkozlow3 Member

Hi guys,

New member here (long time occasional lurker) and I've been buying a bunch of nice button-down sport shirts over the past couple of weeks. Hugo Boss, Ted Baker, etc. I want to keep them looking good and make them last for as long as possible.

What's the preferred method for keeping shirts looking new?

A. Machine wash delicate cycle & hang to dry
    B. Take them to the cleaners and have them "laundered" (does this mean they machine dry them too?)
    C. Dry clean
    D. Other

Note that I live in NYC and don't have a washer/dryer in my building, so while option A might be the cheapest for many, it's probably not cheaper than option B in my case. I care more about convenience (dropping the clothes off on my way to work) and preserving the life of the clothes than the cost of keeping them clean. Besides, I always wear undershirts and try to only clean my button-downs when necessary after multiple wears.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

2. Poloboy

Poloboy Well-Known Member

Why would you ever wear a shirt more than once without having it laundered?

3. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Really? I do all the time. As long as you're not a sweaty, dirty pig, I don't see why not.

4. jkozlow3

jkozlow3 Member

Because I wear undershirts and that keeps my button-downs clean for multiple wears for the most part. If I washed my clothes every time I wore them, I'm guessing they'd have a pretty short life.

Anyway, back on topic...how do I clean my shirts to keep them looking new the longest?

5. Poloboy

Poloboy Well-Known Member

Only an idiot would wear a shirt more than once without having it laundered.

6. jkozlow3

jkozlow3 Member

Thanks, I guess I'm an idiot then.

7. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

me too...don't see the need to launder a shirt every single time you wear it, especially if you're just sitting at a desk all day like I am.

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I won't address your main questions, but +1 to the washing. Honestly, walking to the subway and then sitting at a desk all day? plus add in an undershirt... how dirty could anything possibly get? I wash my shirts probably after 3-5 wearings. It's not like I'm sweating much, or doing anything to get them dirty, and the undershirts get washed, so I don't see the problem.

9. jkozlow3

jkozlow3 Member

I always thought laundering shirts decreased their life? That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid here by starting this thread.

Speaking of which, any tips for getting the most life out of my clothes and the best ways to keep them clean is greatly appreciated!

10. pnin22

pnin22 Senior member

I note that the undershirt does not keep the collar and cuffs from getting stains. The moment your loosen that collar, anyone can see your sweaty 3-day old shirt.

11. tgt465

tgt465 Senior member

Dry cleaning will reduce their life too. If you want to really maximize the life of the shirts, wash by hand and hang dry.

12. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

13. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

I was waiting for someone to post it. thought spoo would be first.

I always wash my shirts after each wear whether i sit at a desk or out to dinner for 2 hours. naturally people pespire all the time, and they have oils that rub off onto the shirts, then dirt gets trapped on them.

your average dry cleaner will just chemical the shit out of it. then after that they machine press, till the buttons all break off.

14. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I don't sweat much but my cuffs get dirty quickly, which means laundering after every wear. I guess if you don't get them dirty at all you can wear them a couple times before laundering, but more than that would make me feel bad.

15. Emulations

Emulations Well-Known Member

I heartily agree with the above two posters. I would never wear a shirt twice without it being laundered. Even with an undershirt, hygiene products rub onto the shirt. To the posters wearing a shirt multiple times before laundering, you are all missing out on the feeling of putting on a fresh shirt every morning!