Should I cuff these pants???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MBreinin, Mar 17, 2011.

1. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Just received a new suit. Spano light tan colored single breasted with peak lapels. Appears to be all silk, or a silk linen blend.

Pants are already hemmed and are a perfect length. They look good as is, but I am wondering about adding cuffs.

I can't decide.

Opinions?

If I do, I am not doing the full 2 inches I have been doing as of late. I think I will try 1 3/4.

Thanks,

Mike

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If its all silk, got some gloss - a slick looking piece - I say no cuffs. However the fabric experts can chime in if a cuff would help an all silk pant drape better. I (shockingly) dont have an all silk suit (yet).

3. Agatha Crusty

Agatha Crusty Senior member

Doesn't seem to make sense to play with them if they are hemmed and fit perfectly already. There are more ways to affect weight/drape than adding visible cuffs.

4. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

If its all silk, got some gloss - a slick looking piece - I say no cuffs. However the fabric experts can chime in if a cuff would help an all silk pant drape better. I (shockingly) dont have an all silk suit (yet).

Yeah, it has some gloss/sheen. Not like my SP because it is that rougher silk. The pants are perfect as is, and have heel strips installed and everything...so I hate to mess with them. Actually, the whole suit is near perfect in dimensions. If I didn't want to show more than a faint sliver of shirt cuff, I could wear it as is.

Still, I have become a cuff junky.

Mike

5. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Bump.

Maybe I will wear it once and ask for opinions before I decide.

Mike

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

Just received a new suit. Spano light tan colored single breasted with peak lapels. Appears to be all silk, or a silk linen blend.

Pants are already hemmed and are a perfect length. They look good as is, but I am wondering about adding cuffs.

I can't decide.

Opinions?

If I do, I am not doing the full 2 inches I have been doing as of late. I think I will try 1 3/4.

Thanks,

Mike

Why did you not ascertain what it is made of before purchase? Seems a bit odd to say the least.

7. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Why did you not ascertain what it is made of before purchase? Seems a bit odd to say the least.

I'm guessing it was thrifted.
    Mike, rougher silk? Dupioni? Pics please.
    STP had a nice looking Belvest that I'm still kicking myself for not buying (so I could channel my inner Michael Corleone).

8. Edgar Allan Pwn

Edgar Allan Pwn Senior member

The pants are perfect as is

There's your answer.

9. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

^^^ What he said - if the trouser length is perfect, and they're already hemmed, leave well enough alone (and the hem reinforcement should do the job of adding a bit of extra weight for proper drape).

As much as I'm a cuff junkie as well, the world is a place large enough for cuffed AND uncuffed suit trousers.

10. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

I say cuff everything, especially suits. I have one suit that I had done with no cuffs on the advice of someone else and I just think the pants look unfinished that way.

Oh yeah - 1 3/4 inch is ideal for me.

11. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

It has no content label. I know it is silk. It was advertised as linen.

I'm guessing it was thrifted.
    Mike, rougher silk? Dupioni? Pics please.
    STP had a nice looking Belvest that I'm still kicking myself for not buying (so I could channel my inner Michael Corleone).

Not thrifted. It is a "castoff" as PaoloM would say. It was from the B&S.

Let me see if I can find the ad and steal a pic.

The biggest bummer was that after close inspection, the sleeves have working buttons. Now, it is a nice touch, but they are a hair too long. I could probably trim a hlaf inch without it looking too odd.

Mike

EDIT:

Here are some pics. Second one shows the material, which is clearly silk. Fortunately, it is very light as silk wears hot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Bump.

Maybe I will wear it once and ask for opinions before I decide.

Mike

Pics would help. I tend to cuff everything, especially suit pants, but yours may look fine as is.

13. Montrachet

Montrachet Senior member

I only cuff with notch lapels. Not as a rule, just as per my taste.

14. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Love it. Looks like dupioni to me. I would not cuff. Here is your namesake's suit:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=63691
    Geary: Because I intend to squeeze you. I don't like your kind of people. I don't like to see you come out to this clean country in oily hair and dressed up in those silk suits, and try to pass yourselves off as decent Americans. I'll do business with you but the fact is that I despise your masquerade, the dishonest way you pose yourself. Yourself and your whole f--king family.

15. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Love it. Looks like dupioni to me. I would not cuff. Here is your namesake's suit:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=63691
    Geary: Because I intend to squeeze you. I don't like your kind of people. I don't like to see you come out to this clean country in oily hair and dressed up in those silk suits, and try to pass yourselves off as decent Americans. I'll do business with you but the fact is that I despise your masquerade, the dishonest way you pose yourself. Yourself and your whole f--king family.

Yeah, I agree. Not quite as much sheen or slubbiness as Michael's though.

Well, this will save me tailoring fees. Basically, all I need to do is let it hang so the wrinkles come out and wear it.

Mike