• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I contact AE customer service...

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was inspired by this thread: Allen-Edmonds Has A Customer For Life ... . Right now I am contemplating whether I should contact AE customer service for the problem I have with a pair of suede Mora. I bought them new via grapevinehills. As far as I can tell these are 1st quality (no "S" or "R" marks on the soles).

The internal size (6.5D)/numbers on both shoes are identical. However, one is significantly different from the other as you can see from the pictures.

P1060033.jpg

Right shoe...fits very very loose...more like 6.5EEE, measured 3/16" wider than the left shoe.
P1060036.jpg

Left shoe...fits good as expected
P1060037.jpg

FWIW, the measurements on the balls are about the same.

What does the forum think?

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
That's very odd. I'm not sure if it's the camera angel that's playing tricks on me or if your problem is legit. I'd contact customer service if it's a noticeable problem. Let them know that you can send measurements and pictures.

EDIT: Why don't you try measuring from either the inside or outside of both shoes rather than the inside of one and outside of the other. It's a small thing, but it eliminates one set of nay-sayers.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you search through old threads, you'll see C&J shoes with much worse QC issues than that. Fwiw, I don't think that's a defect; it's likely within AE's allowance/tolerance level. Imo, if you do send them in, the most they'll do is sand down the larger heel stack a bit. They won't make you a new pair of Moras.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KingOfTheForum
That's very odd. I'm not sure if it's the camera angel that's playing tricks on me or if your problem is legit. I'd contact customer service if it's a noticeable problem. Let them know that you can send measurements and pictures.

EDIT: Why don't you try measuring from either the inside or outside of both shoes rather than the inside of one and outside of the other. It's a small thing, but it eliminates one set of nay-sayers.

Good idea. Let me do that...This time, I measured both of them from inside.
P1060048.jpg

P1060046.jpg

Compared side by side:
Top view: clearly the right is higher than the left
P1060051.jpg

Side view: difference is very prominent.
P1060045.jpg

Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
If you search through old threads, you'll see C&J shoes with much worse QC issues than that. Fwiw, I don't think that's a defect; it's likely within AE's allowance/tolerance level. Imo, if you do send them in, the most they'll do is sand down the larger heel stack a bit. They won't make you a new pair of Moras.

I am not concerned with the cosmetic things (one heel is bigger than the other). I am concerned about the fit. As I said, one fits much much looser than the other. I suspect they made the wrong one to size 6.5EEE rather than 6.5D as marked/sold.
frown.gif

Currently I am using the middle hole on the strape to buckle up with the left shoe. While I had to punch an extra hole on the strape for the right shoe, together with a tougne pad. And it still fit damn loose.
devil.gif

Can AE recraft the right shoe to make it a real size 6.5D?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
I am not concerned with the cosmetic things (one heel is bigger than the other). I am concerned about the fit. As I said, one fits much much looser than the other. I suspect they made the wrong one to size 6.5EEE rather than 6.5D as marked/sold.
frown.gif

Currently I am using the middle hole on the strape to buckle up with the left shoe. While I had to punch an extra hole on the strape for the right shoe, together with a tougne pad. And it still fit damn loose.
devil.gif

There was no way to tell they fit differently since your 1st post only mentioned that 'one is significantly different from the other as you can see from the pictures.'

Aside from the the heel stacks being of different sizes, how do the fronts of the shoes compare? If they were made to different widths... Can it simply be that the fit of a double monk accentuates the difference in size between your right and left foot? Was the difference always like this with these or did the right shoes stretch more over time?

Of course, this doesn't explain/excuse the heel stacks.

Can AE recraft the right shoe to make it a real size 6.5D?

I think they could if it's not.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
It looks like you've worn them a number of times. Did you just notice this? And why wouldn't you go through the seller first?

x2. This seems more like an issue with your seller than with AE.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have not seen this as an issue on Allen-Edmonds seconds.

- B

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
It looks like you've worn them a number of times. Did you just notice this? And why wouldn't you go through the seller first?

I noticed them shortly after I had worn them for the 1st times. And I punched an extra hole on the strap and installed a tougne pad after that. Besides, I had an exact pair in black calf, and they fit very good. So I knew for sure, one was not made correctly.

I didn't contact seller because 1) I had already worn them a couple of time before I could pinpoint what was wrong. And I feeled a bit awkward to contact seller for a return aftermath. 2) I really like them. My size is rare. On top of that, they were discontinued model. It would be very tough to find a replacement. So I kept them with certain fit compromises.

Never had it incurred to me that I could/should contact AE until I saw the AE praise thread.
laugh.gif

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
There was no way to tell they fit differently since your 1st post only mentioned that 'one is significantly different from the other as you can see from the pictures.'

Aside from the the heel stacks being of different sizes, how do the fronts of the shoes compare? If they were made to different widths... Can it simply be that the fit of a double monk accentuates the difference in size between your right and left foot? Was the difference always like this with these or did the right shoes stretch more over time?

Of course, this doesn't explain/excuse the heel stacks.

I think they could if it's not.

I did say the right shoe fits very very loose on my original post. The fronts look identical, and all I CAN tell is the right shoe fit significantly looser than the left. And as I said, I noticed difference on their first wearing.

FWIW, I had an exact pair of Mora in black calf. Both shoes fit me good, at least I can not tell any difference in fitment.

ldegeneve

Reaction score
Well, you could always just sell them to me for a hundred.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did say the right shoe fits very very loose on my original post. The fronts look identical, and all I CAN tell is the right shoe fit significantly looser than the left. And as I said, I noticed difference on their first wearing.

FWIW, I had an exact pair of Mora in black calf. Both shoes fit me good, at least I can not tell any difference in fitment.

My bad, I didn't see that since it was sandwiched between pics. I think your recourse would have been with GVH after you noticed the fit issue. While they might not have been able to offer a replacement pair because they were already discontinued (and in a rare size), they probably would have given you a refund. I'm not sure it's fair to expect AE to do anything about it (free of charge) at this point, regardless of how good their customer service is.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was inspired by this thread: Allen-Edmonds Has A Customer For Life ... . Right now I am contemplating whether I should contact AE customer service for the problem I have with a pair of suede Mora. I bought them new via grapevinehills. As far as I can tell these are 1st quality (no "S" or "R" marks on the soles).

The internal size (6.5D)/numbers on both shoes are identical. However, one is significantly different from the other as you can see from the pictures.

P1060033.jpg

Right shoe...fits very very loose...more like 6.5EEE, measured 3/16" wider than the left shoe.
What does the forum think?

Your right shoe appears to be much longer too. Or is it just the camera angle?

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Your right shoe appears to be much longer too. Or is it just the camera angle?

It is just the camera angle. The length and width at the ball are identical, at least from measurements standpoint.

I will test the water only you guys think that is something I should/could try AE customer service. Or I will just live with it without embarrassing myself asking something out of the line.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads