• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I consider fabric only from one of the top fabric brands?

pingguo

Reaction score
I know that super 130's, 140's, 150's indicate the fineness of the fabric.

A) Is the finess of the fabric good enough reason to order some fabric, comparing different fabrics.

B) I don´t know if it makes a big difference to order a 130´s fabric from the UK, from an unknown brand, or is better to orther a 130´s fabric from one of the top fabric brands.

C) Are there some clear advantages from ordering from the main players in the fabric market?
dormeuil, holland & sherry, scabal, loro piana...

D) Which fabric brand would you use for a suit? Why?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pingguo

Only Scabal and Dormeuil super 180s

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi member pingguo,
Are you a student or are you in business somewhere? You ask very interesting questions.

Matt S

Reaction score
A) No

B) The better fabric mills weave their fabric slower and more carefully than lesser mills. Finesse of the wool has little to do with quality.

C) See ^

D) I would use an English mill only. And I'd never get a suit made from anything higher than Super 120s. The higher the number the less durable the fabric is.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Whats wrong with Italian mills ? I know someone will say that Barbera is the only Italian mill which is borderline acceptable but is LP/VBC/Zegna cloth so poor, quality wise ?

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Hi member pingguo, Are you a student or are you in business somewhere? You ask very interesting questions.
I also have the inkling this guy ain't just your average buyer. Seems like an entrepreneur for luxury clothing. He is being polite and asking the right questions. I would say, pingao needs to commit to a 40% discount for SF members on his future products for any new information.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ Whats wrong with Italian mills ? I know someone will say that Barbera is the only Italian mill which is borderline acceptable but is LP/VBC/Zegna cloth so poor, quality wise ?

No, but that is a clothing fora meme. VBC does a lot of cheaper stuff for the low/middle of the market but LP and Zegna is quality stuff, just very, very pricey and a lot of it gigolo finished/designed.

edit: can't believe I allowed myself to get pingguo'd
frown.gif

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
VBC does a lot of cheaper stuff for the low/middle of the market

They also do stuff for Drapers that can be quite good.

Renfield

Reaction score
I'm believe VBC are making some of the John G.Hardy jacketings.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pingguo
I know that super 130's, 140's, 150's indicate the fineness of the fabric.

A) Is the finess of the fabric good enough reason to order some fabric, comparing different fabrics.

B) I don´t know if it makes a big difference to order a 130´s fabric from the UK, from an unknown brand, or is better to orther a 130´s fabric from one of the top fabric brands.

C) Are there some clear advantages from ordering from the main players in the fabric market?
dormeuil, holland & sherry, scabal, loro piana...

Clear advantage would be that people on the internetz will like them more.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel

edit: can't believe I allowed myself to get pingguo'd
frown.gif

Am I missing something here? Seemed like a perfectly legitimate question, and he asked in a polite way. Why are people treating him rudely?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Silverfox
Am I missing something here? Seemed like a perfectly legitimate question, and he asked in a polite way. Why are people treating him rudely?

you are missing his three pages of inane, answered 100's of times, questions that he managed to post over the course of a few days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads