• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I consider fabric only from one of the top fabric brands?

pingguo

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
I know that super 130's, 140's, 150's indicate the fineness of the fabric.

A) Is the finess of the fabric good enough reason to order some fabric, comparing different fabrics.

B) I don´t know if it makes a big difference to order a 130´s fabric from the UK, from an unknown brand, or is better to orther a 130´s fabric from one of the top fabric brands.

C) Are there some clear advantages from ordering from the main players in the fabric market?
dormeuil, holland & sherry, scabal, loro piana...

D) Which fabric brand would you use for a suit? Why?
 

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2009
Messages
6,964
Reaction score
128
Originally Posted by pingguo

D) Which fabric brand would you use for a suit? Why?


Only Scabal and Dormeuil super 180s
 

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
7,037
Reaction score
2,584
Hi member pingguo,
Are you a student or are you in business somewhere? You ask very interesting questions.
 

Matt S

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2009
Messages
923
Reaction score
15
A) No

B) The better fabric mills weave their fabric slower and more carefully than lesser mills. Finesse of the wool has little to do with quality.

C) See ^

D) I would use an English mill only. And I'd never get a suit made from anything higher than Super 120s. The higher the number the less durable the fabric is.
 

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2009
Messages
6,964
Reaction score
128
^^ Whats wrong with Italian mills ? I know someone will say that Barbera is the only Italian mill which is borderline acceptable but is LP/VBC/Zegna cloth so poor, quality wise ?
 

Butter

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Despos
Hi member pingguo, Are you a student or are you in business somewhere? You ask very interesting questions.
I also have the inkling this guy ain't just your average buyer. Seems like an entrepreneur for luxury clothing. He is being polite and asking the right questions. I would say, pingao needs to commit to a 40% discount for SF members on his future products for any new information.
 

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
25,969
Reaction score
3,573
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ Whats wrong with Italian mills ? I know someone will say that Barbera is the only Italian mill which is borderline acceptable but is LP/VBC/Zegna cloth so poor, quality wise ?

No, but that is a clothing fora meme. VBC does a lot of cheaper stuff for the low/middle of the market but LP and Zegna is quality stuff, just very, very pricey and a lot of it gigolo finished/designed.


edit: can't believe I allowed myself to get pingguo'd
 

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
4,938
Reaction score
1,106
Originally Posted by edmorel
VBC does a lot of cheaper stuff for the low/middle of the market

They also do stuff for Drapers that can be quite good.
 

Renfield

Active Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2010
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
I'm believe VBC are making some of the John G.Hardy jacketings.
 

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
37,206
Reaction score
11,788
Originally Posted by pingguo
I know that super 130's, 140's, 150's indicate the fineness of the fabric.

A) Is the finess of the fabric good enough reason to order some fabric, comparing different fabrics.

B) I don´t know if it makes a big difference to order a 130´s fabric from the UK, from an unknown brand, or is better to orther a 130´s fabric from one of the top fabric brands.

C) Are there some clear advantages from ordering from the main players in the fabric market?
dormeuil, holland & sherry, scabal, loro piana...


D) Which fabric brand would you use for a suit? Why?


Clear advantage would be that people on the internetz will like them more.
 

The Silverfox

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2010
Messages
393
Reaction score
110
Originally Posted by edmorel

edit: can't believe I allowed myself to get pingguo'd


Am I missing something here? Seemed like a perfectly legitimate question, and he asked in a polite way. Why are people treating him rudely?
 

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
25,969
Reaction score
3,573
Originally Posted by The Silverfox
Am I missing something here? Seemed like a perfectly legitimate question, and he asked in a polite way. Why are people treating him rudely?

you are missing his three pages of inane, answered 100's of times, questions that he managed to post over the course of a few days.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,327
Messages
9,443,716
Members
197,873
Latest member
gla158gx
Top