• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I buy this watch for $40?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting bored with my 3 watches (1 brown&gold, 1 black&silver and 1 stainless steel casual). Saw this offer in my inbox today and it expires in 7 hours. Please help me decide if I really want this or not:
61HEE5.jpg
Thanks.

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
If you'll get use out of it, can enjoy it, and can afford it, why not.
eh.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess a better question is would this watch work for a 30-year old slim fellow like myself, who likes colorful slim-fitting clothes and usually dresses in a more casual way (read shirts and cotton pants)? Could it also be used for a night at the opera or a good restaurant with a suit and tie? Will it look like a cheap piece of s**t or will it look good? I'm not experienced with watches, that's why I seek other people's opinions. Thanks!

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I guess a better question is would this watch work for a 30-year old slim fellow like myself, who likes colorful slim-fitting clothes and usually dresses in a more casual way (read shirts and cotton pants)? Could it also be used for a night at the opera or a good restaurant with a suit and tie? Will it look like a cheap piece of s**t or will it look good? I'm not experienced with watches, that's why I seek other people's opinions. Thanks!

I have one that I wear that I inherited from my grandfather (almost identical, even down to the date window). I think it looks good and enjoy it. Should do fine for you.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, $40?! Would go great with anything navy..?!

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
Seikos are great and for 40 bucks, this is a good buy. It'll go with plenty of outfits so I'm sure you'll get some use out of it.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good price for a Seiko but not a fan of the color.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I used to have a gold-coloured Casio with an analogue face v. similar to that: got a ton of compliments about it, but only from people that don't no much about watches.

But I got bored of it really quickly as I started to fall in love with 'proper' watches. I feel the same thing might happen to you. Depends on what sort of person you are I suppose.

dk_ace

Reaction score
For $20 or so more you could get a self-winding mechanical Seiko 5 off of Amazon or Overstock. I haven't looked at gold colored ones to see what those run, but about the same depending on the model I figure.

I would buy the mechanical one if I were you, but that's just my $.02. I'm about to buy one this week actually.

D

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I'm getting bored with my 3 watches (1 brown&gold, 1 black&silver and 1 stainless steel casual). Saw this offer in my inbox today and it expires in 7 hours. Please help me decide if I really want this or not:
61HEE5.jpg
Thanks.

Looks a lot like...
oyster-perpetual-datejust-180x300.jpg
I wore (out, apparently, I'm corrosive to most watches) Seikos for a long time. It looks nice in that color. It WILL keep perfect time.

Skronnie

Reaction score
That's a nice looking watch and in that price point, I feel that a quartz watch is a much better idea than a mechanical. Mechanicals on the cheaper side of things are every bit as mass produced as quartz movements and don't tell time even remotely as well. For forty bucks, I think you'd be well served by a nice conservative gold colored watch like that.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I decided to go for it and it ended up $45 after shipping. Pretty nice, I hope I won't regret it.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to be presumptuous about what $40 means to you, but it's just $40 we're talking about here. Even if it turns out to be a mistake, it would only be a $40 one. I could fill up a closet of my sartorial mistakes (which, of course, are only mistakes in hindsight). And for $40, that's not a bad looking watch. My point? Go for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics