1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should I buy this watch for $40?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Apr 29, 2011.

1. acecow

acecow Senior member

I'm getting bored with my 3 watches (1 brown&gold, 1 black&silver and 1 stainless steel casual). Saw this offer in my inbox today and it expires in 7 hours. Please help me decide if I really want this or not: [​IMG] Thanks.

2. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Senior member

If you'll get use out of it, can enjoy it, and can afford it, why not. [​IMG]

3. acecow

acecow Senior member

I guess a better question is would this watch work for a 30-year old slim fellow like myself, who likes colorful slim-fitting clothes and usually dresses in a more casual way (read shirts and cotton pants)? Could it also be used for a night at the opera or a good restaurant with a suit and tie? Will it look like a cheap piece of s**t or will it look good? I'm not experienced with watches, that's why I seek other people's opinions. Thanks!

4. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

5. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

I guess a better question is would this watch work for a 30-year old slim fellow like myself, who likes colorful slim-fitting clothes and usually dresses in a more casual way (read shirts and cotton pants)? Could it also be used for a night at the opera or a good restaurant with a suit and tie? Will it look like a cheap piece of s**t or will it look good? I'm not experienced with watches, that's why I seek other people's opinions. Thanks!

I have one that I wear that I inherited from my grandfather (almost identical, even down to the date window). I think it looks good and enjoy it. Should do fine for you.

6. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

Dude, $40?! Would go great with anything navy..?!

7. Daseinflaw

Daseinflaw Senior member

Seikos are great and for 40 bucks, this is a good buy. It'll go with plenty of outfits so I'm sure you'll get some use out of it.

8. GBear

GBear Senior member

Good price for a Seiko but not a fan of the color.

9. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Yeah, I used to have a gold-coloured Casio with an analogue face v. similar to that: got a ton of compliments about it, but only from people that don't no much about watches.

But I got bored of it really quickly as I started to fall in love with 'proper' watches. I feel the same thing might happen to you. Depends on what sort of person you are I suppose.

10. dk_ace

dk_ace Active Member

For $20 or so more you could get a self-winding mechanical Seiko 5 off of Amazon or Overstock. I haven't looked at gold colored ones to see what those run, but about the same depending on the model I figure.

I would buy the mechanical one if I were you, but that's just my $.02. I'm about to buy one this week actually.

D

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I'm getting bored with my 3 watches (1 brown&gold, 1 black&silver and 1 stainless steel casual). Saw this offer in my inbox today and it expires in 7 hours. Please help me decide if I really want this or not: [​IMG] Thanks.
    Looks a lot like... [​IMG] I wore (out, apparently, I'm corrosive to most watches) Seikos for a long time. It looks nice in that color. It WILL keep perfect time.

12. Skronnie

Skronnie Member

That's a nice looking watch and in that price point, I feel that a quartz watch is a much better idea than a mechanical. Mechanicals on the cheaper side of things are every bit as mass produced as quartz movements and don't tell time even remotely as well. For forty bucks, I think you'd be well served by a nice conservative gold colored watch like that.

13. acecow

acecow Senior member

Thanks for the replies. I decided to go for it and it ended up $45 after shipping. Pretty nice, I hope I won't regret it.

14. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Not to be presumptuous about what $40 means to you, but it's just $40 we're talking about here. Even if it turns out to be a mistake, it would only be a $40 one. I could fill up a closet of my sartorial mistakes (which, of course, are only mistakes in hindsight). And for $40, that's not a bad looking watch. My point? Go for it.

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I hate all-gold watches. Not my thing.

16. acecow

acecow Senior member

Not to be presumptuous about what $40 means to you, but it's just $40 we're talking about here. Even if it turns out to be a mistake, it would only be a $40 one. I could fill up a closet of my sartorial mistakes (which, of course, are only mistakes in hindsight). And for $40, that's not a bad looking watch. My point? Go for it.

$40 is not a lot of money, of course, but I rather dislike buying things I'll never use. Call it an OCD of sorts.

I hate all-gold watches. Not my thing.

I think one needs really hairy arms to pull off an all-gold watch look. [​IMG]

17. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

the all gold part is the only thing wrong with it.

says bad used car or furniture salesman to me, but if you don't mind the gold, enjoy

18. Flartchy

Flartchy Senior member

Depends on the movement, if it's the standard Seiko automatic 21 jewel (7s26), then perhaps. If it's quartz then no. If's the Seiko Superior 23 jewel (7s36) then def. yes. We need to know lots more than the color and face to know what it's worth. http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/7s2...s36-11999.html

19. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I think one needs really hairy arms to pull off an all-gold watch look. [​IMG]

It helps if you're a pimp as well, I think [​IMG]