• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I buy this unstructured John Varvatos sports jacket?

Farmgate

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
109
Reaction score
1
I found this John Varvatos wool sports jacket, unstructured, decent fit, machine washable. The back collar creeps up the back of my neck slightly, and the sleeves are about an inch too long. It is a bluish silver-gray known as "Concrete Heather":

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalo...xx.esn_results

The front chest area, under my arm is kind of full. I am 5'8 155 lbs. The tailor said he could tighten it up, but is limited because it is unstructured.

I am wondering if such jackets have much utility, or should I save my bucks for something more traditional from Zegna or Theory.

Do these types of non-traditional, casual jackets get a lot of use, or should I stick with something staid and traditional?

The color (silverish blue gray) is kind of unusual, and flashy. Not your normal run-of-the mill black, navy or medium gray.

I should mention that my personal style is slim cut, colorful, nontraditional.

Should I buy it for $300?
 

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
6,514
Reaction score
512
Save your money for something nicer.
Brooks Brothers and Pal Zileri are just 2 suggestions that will give you a lot more for your money.
 

epa

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2006
Messages
1,412
Reaction score
2
LOL at the customer review: "It's a fine jacket for what it is, but not the one Bloomingdales describes above: it's three-button, not two, and it's cotton/linen not wool. But it is a striped blazer, at least they got that right."
???
 

Sazerac

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2010
Messages
607
Reaction score
12
There's nothing wrong with unstructured jackets. I reach for one often. But my experience with Varvatos quality is very hit or miss. Some of their stuff is all right (but no better) and some really falls apart.

As others have said, you can do better for the money.
 

Icehawk

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2009
Messages
627
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Farmgate
I am wondering if such jackets have much utility, or should I save my bucks for something more traditional from Zegna or Theory.

Do these types of non-traditional, casual jackets get a lot of use, or should I stick with something staid and traditional?



What do you want it for? I do not wear suits for work but have a couple of casual/modern sport coats I will wear on occassion when the mood hits me or when we are going out. Some of depends on age, locale, etc too - what flies in NYC isn't the same as South Beach.

I really like the one totally unstructured jacket I have as it feels very natural.
 

Mr. Lee

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2010
Messages
414
Reaction score
1
IMHO not very nice and not much utility for this piece. Bag it.
 

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
1,581
Reaction score
1,382
I don't like it. And I generally like this sort of thing.
 

ismelllikepoop

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2010
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
dont really get how people are passing judgment looking at two photos that dont really show much. i cant tell the difference between this and any other casual gray blazer just from the pictures. but i guess like the boss threads that are out there, JV is not a popular brand on these forums. if u've tried it on and like it get it, if you didn't then don't. There are plenty of different blazers to wait for one that suits you best instead of settling for something. I personally do prefer the more casual jackets, hence me disagreeing with getting a brooks brothers etc, and feel they have more utility but that's personal preference.
 

Farmgate

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
109
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop
dont really get how people are passing judgment looking at two photos that dont really show much. i cant tell the difference between this and any other casual gray blazer just from the pictures. but i guess like the boss threads that are out there, JV is not a popular brand on these forums. if u've tried it on and like it get it, if you didn't then don't. There are plenty of different blazers to wait for one that suits you best instead of settling for something. I personally do prefer the more casual jackets, hence me disagreeing with getting a brooks brothers etc, and feel they have more utility but that's personal preference.

thanks for your constructive comments. I appreciate your advice.
 

Farmgate

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
109
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Icehawk
What do you want it for? I do not wear suits for work but have a couple of casual/modern sport coats I will wear on occassion when the mood hits me or when we are going out. Some of depends on age, locale, etc too - what flies in NYC isn't the same as South Beach.

I really like the one totally unstructured jacket I have as it feels very natural.


I am 49, slim, looking for something to throw on for parties, casual events, maybe even casual Friday.

Thanks.
 

comrade

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 10, 2005
Messages
6,717
Reaction score
587
Originally Posted by Farmgate
I am 49, slim, looking for something to throw on for parties, casual events, maybe even casual Friday.

Thanks.


Definitely not! It's transient and perfect for the marginal fashionista sub-culture,
who will be on to something else in six months. I was forty-nine and I wore nothing
like this or its' equivalent. I didn't even when I was twenty. Find something at least
a bit more classic. Something with some gravitas.
 

Icehawk

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2009
Messages
627
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by comrade
Definitely not! It's transient and perfect for the marginal fashionista sub-culture,
who will be on to something else in six months. I was forty-nine and I wore nothing
like this or its' equivalent. I didn't even when I was twenty. Find something at least
a bit more classic. Something with some gravitas.


You might if you lived somewhere more fashion oriented and where 49 isn't ancient.


I'm not a huge fan of the material/color from what I can see, it seems a little too "clubby", but based on the OP's intent I think a jacket of this style is what he is looking for. I'd look for something with a bit less sheen or flash so you can get more utility out of it - I have a nice blue with overcheck SC I use as my go-to for parties/outings but it would still be fine for a corporate job IME.
 

cncrd

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2010
Messages
155
Reaction score
8
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop
dont really get how people are passing judgment looking at two photos that dont really show much. i cant tell the difference between this and any other casual gray blazer just from the pictures. but i guess like the boss threads that are out there, JV is not a popular brand on these forums. if u've tried it on and like it get it, if you didn't then don't. There are plenty of different blazers to wait for one that suits you best instead of settling for something. I personally do prefer the more casual jackets, hence me disagreeing with getting a brooks brothers etc, and feel they have more utility but that's personal preference.

People are passing judgment because nearly all Varvatos stuff is of marginal quality for the retail price, just like Boss, which is why neither brand is popular here. It's not necessary to see photos to know this.

If the OP were asking about buying this same Varvatos piece on Ebay for $50 or $75, he might get a different answer. Same with people asking about buying a Boss suit. If you needed a cheap suit and picked one up at Off 5th on clearance for $175, nobody here's going to beat you up for it. But paying $500-$800 for it without knowing all the other stuff out there isn't good.

To the OP, for $400 you could probably find a much much nicer similar piece right now on the Buying & Selling subforum here, or at Shop the Finest or Virtual Clothes Horse. If you want this exact jacket, then no, you might not find it, but people here will always try to be helpful and point out that much higher-quality pieces, which will last much longer, are available with just a little bit of looking. Depending on your size, you should be able to get close or into Borrelli or Caruso territory for $400.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 2 2.5%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 11 13.6%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 26 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 19 23.5%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 8 9.9%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 2 2.5%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 5 6.2%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,296
Messages
9,196,335
Members
193,133
Latest member
Jaceves1

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top