• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I buy this amazing $6940 Tom Ford suede jacket?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your opinion of the jacket is clouded to the point that you're consulting strangers. It also costs 7 thousand dollars. I think you have your answer.

I think he had his answer a few months ago.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to spend that type of money you would be better served at Hermès

JDMills

Reaction score
Uh no no no no no

Im fairly (95%) sure you could get one made for a fraction of the price :/ You could get one bespoke for like 3k probably

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Sorry but I don't like it. And that's without even considering the absolutely ridiculous price.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As I say every time I read, or hear, a Tom Ford price: bespoke.

As i say every time i read or hear this. Bespoke might not get you what you want, even though its custom they do tend to have a house style. You wouldnt go to rubinacci or steed for a strong shoulder suit would you? Second real bespoke or even good custom might not be available in places where some people are located. If it wasnt for traveling tailors i would have never tried naples and saville row bespoke. Third and maybe this doesnt apply directly to Tom Ford but for other high end OTR (Brioni, Kiton, Oxxford, attolini, etc) if you were to get comparable bespoke using same fabrics same handwork blah blah, you are looking at close too or higher than the price of the OTR, i remember reading somewhere that brioni's fabrics are about $800 bucks a meter so you take 2 and a half of that for a 2 piece you are already looking at 2 grand in just fabrics. Lastly, if the fit is ok already or can be altered to fit properly with OTR you dont have to wait close to a year for your garment. Not saying one is better than the other because i swing back and forth between the two, just saying there are some plus points to getting OTR

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Very valid points, but I find the price of Tom Ford especially ridiculous. $6500 for a jacket, even if the fabric is $1000/m, simply boggles my mind. I also might think entirely differently if that was an amount I could afford to spend on an article of clothing, rather than the exact amount I'm hoping to crowd fund for my wife's immigration application.

When I was searching for a Marcella shirt, one of the two I could find was Tom Ford; now I knew when they were showing me a TF shirt I was never going to be able to afford it, and was expecting $400 to $700. It was $1500... was all I could do not to laugh out loud. But, I suppose, if water was money...

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

remember reading somewhere that brioni's fabrics are about $800 bucks a meter so you take 2 and a half of that for a 2 piece you are already looking at 2 grand in just fabrics.
you may have read some more misinformation unless you are referring to something with Vicuna or a one piece of special fabric.... Last time I was t Smith Woollen in London they were packing a common £70 per meter (at retail, wholesale probably £40) fabric addressed to Brioni... Some of the stuff Kiton gets from Moxon is alleged to cost upwards of £100 per meter (superfine 180 wool bought at auction and in limited quantities), but these makes rare pieces not the widely available retail stuff.

RyanM

Reaction score
Can someone post a picture of it, I don't want to have to download the file.

P.S. This is a luxury item. If you have to ask whether the price is worth it, then you can't afford it.

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ Very valid points, but I find the price of Tom Ford especially ridiculous. $6500 for a jacket, even if the fabric is $1000/m, simply boggles my mind. I also might think entirely differently if that was an amount I could afford to spend on an article of clothing, rather than the exact amount I'm hoping to crowd fund for my wife's immigration application.

When I was searching for a Marcella shirt, one of the two I could find was Tom Ford; now I knew when they were showing me a TF shirt I was never going to be able to afford it, and was expecting $400 to $700. It was $1500... was all I could do not to laugh out loud. But, I suppose, if water was money...

Its just that jacket, tom ford suiting which is what comes up the most for these topics starts at about $3200 last time i checked in about october of last year. Its still quite a stretch but doesnt sound as bad as starting from 6500 lol

Edit: i just read the second part of your post. I have like 15 shirts from tom ford, i think at least half of them i bought at full retail from their madison store but have never seen prices like that. I mean ok they were like 300-500 but not like 700, and i dont think ive seen one that went for 1500 unless it was one of those ones not made of normal shirting material, like that velvet one they had during the fall. But in the case of shirts i do agree with you that the prices are laughable and i think in this case you can really do better by going else wear. But when i go home i like using my dress shirts as going out shirts as well and since my maid over there is idiotic, my mom likes to iron my shirts and she says of all the ones shes handled (Brioni, Attolini, Turnbull Asser, Kiton, Isaia, NSM), she feels that my TF ones have the best fabric. No idea what she meant by that though and she could just mean they are the easiest to iron.

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you may have read some more misinformation unless you are referring to something with Vicuna or a one piece of special fabric.... Last time I was t Smith Woollen in London they were packing a common £70 per meter (at retail, wholesale probably £40) fabric addressed to Brioni... Some of the stuff Kiton gets from Moxon is alleged to cost upwards of £100 per meter (superfine 180 wool bought at auction and in limited quantities), but these makes rare pieces not the widely available retail stuff.

It was a thread on here about how sometimes the crazy discounts during the recession where you would be able to find Brioni, Kiton, etc for like 75% off, there comes a point where you are paying less than the actual cost of the fabric. Btw pure vicuna would be wayyyyyy more than $800 a meter.....

Btw love the blog. Especially the "all natural" pics of a young sophia lauren :D

Last edited:

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its just that jacket, tom ford suiting which is what comes up the most for these topics starts at about $3200 last time i checked in about october of last year. Its still quite a stretch but doesnt sound as bad as starting from 6500 lol

Well, that brings it into the realm of comparable to bespoke, with the various pro's and cons on each side.

UN-TIE

Reaction score
I would be interested to know what is the big deal about a silk tie? I have seen some really nice ties that wasn't silk and they were sharp as hell!

UN-TIE

Reaction score
Look out for my line of unusual men neckties and bow ties! It's time for a change people!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads