• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I buy these Barker Toecap on sale? (Not Barker Black)

StylingUK

Reaction score
I have been looking for a pair of ankle boots for awhile but saw a pair of Barker Heywood Derby on sale. I thought it might go well with my gray and brown suit. I tried searching for previous comments about Barker shoes but most of them are about the higher end Barker Black and Anniversary Collection... there have not been much comments about Barker's lower end shoes. These Barker Heywood is from their Heritage collection and retail for £130 but its on sale for about £70. It has calf leather uppers, 6mm cemented leather sole unit/rubber insert, and Barkerflex (no idea what that is).
What do you guys think? Just pull the trigger or save some money for better shoes?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Barker from their highest end range (Anniversary Collection). I'm not thrilled with the quality of the calfskin. I think you can get a better pair of derbys from other makers on sale or as seconds for about £100. There are several UK based ebay sellers who might have something similar, but of better quality, depending on your shoe size:

sausages234
2511jacksonshoes
retricker1829
retailtherapy4all
kai33raj

^In no particular order.

mimile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
I think you should hold off until you find a welted pair, which can probably be had for not too much more.

+1

StylingUK

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Cheers Wes Bourne for the list as well. I'll pass on these until I find a better deal.

Salsalocust

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I have a pair of Barker from their highest end range (Anniversary Collection). I'm not thrilled with the quality of the calfskin. I think you can get a better pair of derbys from other makers on sale or as seconds for about £100. There are several UK based ebay sellers who might have something similar, but of better quality, depending on your shoe size:

sausages234
2511jacksonshoes
retricker1829
retailtherapy4all
kai33raj

^In no particular order.

YEAH?...... thanks for the list Wes!....

What happened to the £30 quid in used fivers I slipped you in a brown envelope??

Regards,

Graham

soaped

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Salsalocust

What happened to the £30 quid in used fivers I slipped you in a brown envelope??

Regards,

Graham

Graham, if it makes you feel any better, my list is exactly the same as Wes' except you are first

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mine too. Do I get a discount, Graham?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Salsalocust

Regards,

Graham

My apologies Graham. While your C&J offerings probably represent good value for the money, I believe your average price is above the magical mark of £100 that I used for my recommendations to the OP...

That, and because I was really insulted you thought my endorsement could be bought for only 30 quid!

StylingUK

Reaction score
You are actually one of the UK ebay sellers I bookmarked, Salsalocust. Its just that I don't know exactly what shoe size I should be buying with so many different makers. I'm supposed to be a 7.5 E-width US or a 8 D-width US. And with makers making shoes in different sizes, I'm not too sure if I can afford to take a chance unless I can be more certain as to which size I should be getting. I'm definitely in the market for a pair of dark brownish chelsea if I ever figure out what size I should be getting.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 81 16.8%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 160 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 79 16.4%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 41 8.5%