1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Should I buy the Gripmaster?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Tarzan, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Tarzan

Tarzan Well-Known Member

Following the small wrists thread, the situation is like this.

My wrists are about 6.75 inches and my fingers and forearms are quite skinny. Most RTW shirts or jackets have too much space between sleeve and hand. I have started lifting weights and was thinking if I needed an isolation exercise for the forearms, fingers, etc.
    Is thing worth buying? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294
    It's something I can use anytime I feel like but will it help me gain muscle or volume? Or it will just increase my strength? Or it's generally useless?

2. Jumbie

Jumbie Well-Known Member

It will help with fapping.

I think we will all agree that this is what this thread is about.

3. Milhouse

Milhouse Well-Known Member

A barbell is a hell of a lot more useful. With a good barbell, you can do finger curls, which are essentially similar to the motion of the gripmaster. Plus the barbell is used for all kinds of other lifts.

You could use dumbells instead if you wanted.

Also, get a big freaking hammer and do wrist rotations with it. Hammers are useful for all kinds of other stuff too, so again, money well spent.

Get a big wooden dowel, drill a hole in the center, and thread a piece of rope through there. Hang weight plates off the end of the rope and use that as a wrist roller.

If you use all those to good effect and still desire the gripmaster, then get it.

4. Tarzan

Tarzan Well-Known Member

End of thread.

Tarzan fetches barbell from livingroom.

5. WPGGuy

WPGGuy New Member

A barbell is a hell of a lot more useful. With a good barbell, you can do finger curls, which are essentially similar to the motion of the gripmaster. Plus the barbell is used for all kinds of other lifts.

You could use dumbells instead if you wanted.

Also, get a big freaking hammer and do wrist rotations with it. Hammers are useful for all kinds of other stuff too, so again, money well spent.

Get a big wooden dowel, drill a hole in the center, and thread a piece of rope through there. Hang weight plates off the end of the rope and use that as a wrist roller.

If you use all those to good effect and still desire the gripmaster, then get it.

This. Wrist curls, reverse bicep curls, wrist rollers, pull-ups, and heavy deadlifts are what you need. That being said, I have a heavy tension Gripmaster and it would certainly help if you play guitar.

Your wrists will never really get bigger unless you put on fat, and fingers/hands seem to get fatter/wider with age.

6. Berticus

Berticus Well-Known Member

wtf? Wrist curls, reverse bicep curls, wrist rollers? No, keep it old school. Deadlifts, snatches, cleans, jerks, should press, and push press. Believe me, I had small wrists, and those are all that you really need. If you have access to rings, that's even better. Learn everything you can do on rings. Also, instead of gripmasters, go with the standard---Captain of Crunch. deadlifts should be strapless with a normal pronated grip (read Starting Strenght.

7. j

j Well-Known Member

I have the red Gripmasters. They do basically nothing for strength, though might be good for guitar endurance as noted above.

8. Milhouse

Milhouse Well-Known Member

My grip has never been the limiting factor for the olympic lifts, nor deadlifts. Those things are fine for working grip unless you are in a grip focused sport (rock climbing, a lot of martial arts, wrestling, shooting sports, etc). Then you need additional grip work above and beyond what those lifts can provide.

9. WPGGuy

WPGGuy New Member

The wrist flexors and brachioradialis makes up the bulk of the forearm muscles, hence the wrist curls and reverse bicep curls. The compound movements are great and definitely part of a good strength program, but if he wants to grow the forearms specifically it would be good to isolate them as well.

I've got 4 CoC grippers, from Trainer to No.2 and have closed the 2 with both hands. I haven't used rings before, but I've been thinking about getting Fat Gripz next.

10. Berticus

Berticus Well-Known Member

I used to do curls, but my wrists never got big from them. I only started olympic lifts about a year ago, and I saw the most progress in my wrist size then. When doing push press, should press, or push jerk, as long as you start in a proper rack position, your wrists will grow. The deadlift, definitely helps with grip strength, as long as you use a pronated strapless grip.

Also, legless ascending rope climbs or towel pull-ups help with grips as well.

11. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Well-Known Member

A gripmaster will not increase the size of your wrists. It will strengthen your tendons and muscles to an extent. Thats about it. Your wrists will increase in size with your overall mass, not your overall strength.

12. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Well-Known Member

I have the red Gripmasters. They do basically nothing for strength, though might be good for guitar endurance as noted above.

I think they do. I remember I had one. I wish I knew where it was. The trick is to do little sequences in time, like 1234, 1324, 1432, 4321 etc. Feels really nice. Guitar Hero/Rock Band do the same thing.