Should I buy an iPhone 5 or a Samsung Galaxy S3?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by thekosmicdesign, Sep 12, 2012.

Should I buy an iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S3?

1. iPhone 5

14 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Samsung Galaxy S3

20 vote(s)
    58.8%
  1. thekosmicdesign

thekosmicdesign Active Member

Please vote if you're relatively familiar with both phones. I've owned the iPhone 3GS and currently the iPhone 4. I'm leaning toward the Galaxy S3 for a change.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  2. Duff_Man

Duff_Man Senior member

The iPhone 5 is completely underengineered and underpowered. It came out months after the S3 (international version) and has half the processing power (2 cores instead of 4).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

A little bit premature on your ballot? I don't think anyone is familiar with the iPhone 5, no one has got one yet.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  4. thekosmicdesign

I don't think it's premature to start judging the iPhone 5. Here is what we know:

1. It looks pretty much the same as an iPhone 4 but it is longer. The caseback has a slightly different material/color/texture. Most people, including myself, would cover the back up for the entire life of the phone with a case anyway.
    2. The technical specs look about the same as the Galaxy S3.
    3. The OS will run faster, but it is essentially the same OS that Apple has been using since Day 1.

I do think the iPhone looks good, and the fact that the back is made out of metal/aluminum (?) and not plastic. It also retains its value very well so when you need to sell it or upgrade, you'll get back a lot of money. I don't know how a Galaxy would fare in that department.

In any case, I'm leaning about 70% toward the Samsung. :)

5. xpress

xpress Senior member

The new iPhone looks fantastic.

As far as 2 vs 4 cores, in the majority of speed tests the US 2xcore S3 was outrunning the Euro 4xcore S3.

The S3 is too big. It's difficult to hold (relative to the iPhone)

Whatever. Buy whatever your friends have.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Doesn't matter. Get the iPhone5. Not only is it improved from the iPhone4S, but iPhones in general confer the following benefits:

• You get to meet awesome people waiting in line for your iPhone
    • The geniuses at the Genius Bar talk down to you because they have theirs already.
    • Hot girls will talk to you because you have that New Phone Thing that they want to borrow
    • You might even get laid more if you carry your phone around
    • Your professors will give you A's for the semester
    • Ambercrombie and Fitch will hire you as a model, hope you're reasonably buff.

and finally

• Battery Life. Talk for-EVAR on a single charge.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I'm in the same boat. I'm finally upgrading my dumbphone five years after everyone else. I own a MacBook Pro. Does that mean I should definitely get the iPhone?

8. thekosmicdesign

If you've never had a smartphone I think the iPhone would be a good choice. I also have a Macbook Pro but that would not affect my decision at all. Your phone's interaction with your computer would be the same (iTunes) if you have a PC or Mac.

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Every time I pick up and use a non-Apple smart phone the first thing that pops through my head is that it feels like a cheap plastic toy. I'll switch over when Android is acceptable as an OS and the phones actually feel like products that are worth what they cost.

10. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

buy both and when someone makes fun of your phone, pull out the other and pretend it didn't even happen.

11. Al Anon

Al Anon New Member

iOS is at least 17x faster, smoother, and more responsive than Android on even the fastest phones. That said, I run a Cyanogenmod ROM on my Android device.

iPhone if you like stability.
    Android if you like to tweak.

12. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I wouldn't even consider the S3 versus some other Android phones. You can do better if you decide not to go with Apple.

13. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

14. barrangadang

barrangadang Well-Known Member

GS3 if you don't like to wait in lines I guess.

In all seriousness, if you're up for a change go for it. The Samsung android phones have improved A LOT, since the disaster that was the Vibrant.

15. luxire

luxire Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I started off with the original iPhone and continued to be a battle ready Apple fanboy, waiting for the next big thing.

The 3.5" screen was not serving me well enough and was desperately wanting a bigger iPhone and nothing else.

Finally, my mom-in-law saw my plight and gifted me an S3. This was in July. Not only was the transition easy, I have grown to like the phone a lot. It is simply amazing.

If iPhone 5 would have had a screen big enough (4.5" atleast), I would have possibly gone for it. But right now, the S3 is the best bet.

What I cannot understand is why Apple is letting itself slip in this crucial battle. The bump up to 4" should have happened long ago and they should have thought beyond it by now.