• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

should i buy a smoker?

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no culture of smoking meat where i live. In fact if it wasnt for Piobaires pictures of brisket deliciousbly fall apart all tender and juicy on a plate i would probably never have thought about getting one. But now its too late, i want one.

However, as i live the only ones available to me are expensive. What else can i do with them other than brisket? Will i get a decent amount of use out of it?

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
There is no culture of smoking meat where i live. In fact if it wasnt for Piobaires pictures of brisket deliciousbly fall apart all tender and juicy on a plate i would probably never have thought about getting one. But now its too late, i want one.

However, as i live the only ones available to me are expensive. What else can i do with them other than brisket? Will i get a decent amount of use out of it?

Ribs; pork shoulder, chops, loin; ham; sausages; turkey; chicken; quail and game birds; venison; beef; salmon; trout; even cheese...just to name a few. The amount of use depends on your own preferences. You can get a great deal of use out of one...but that doesn't mean you will.
smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Tough call. It's something you need to plan to use but I certainly get use and value out of my two smokers.

oldseed

Reaction score
i have a smoker with a hotbox on the side and a bbq-like main area w/ chimney. when i'm not in the mood to smoke, i use the bbq-area to have a straight bbq. so really teh smoker doubles as a bbq, and is therefore well worth it.

sd

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
isn't it easy to find substitutes for these? like an old BBQ, or bamboo steamers, or a cheap DIY from the harware store version?

oldseed

Reaction score
I suppose you could make one. But a smoker requires indirect heat. An old BBQ can't do that, unless you plan to burn charcoal on one side and have meat on the other. Then you'd have to regulate heat. The smoker has a charcoal chamber connected to the BBQ chamber. In the charcoal chamber you put your charcoal and continue to stoke it. The BBQ has a chimney so you have it covered. The charcoal chamber and chimney help you regulate heat without ever opening up the BBQ chamber.

hard to describe. once you see a smoker you'll know the difference.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you don't want to invest in a full-on smoker you can make a passable smoker out of a charcoal grill. They make smoker boxes that you can put into the coals, or you can make one from some aluminum foil. It's not going to be a true smoker, and it wouldn't pass muster with a hard-core smoked meat aficionado. However, like I said, it's passable, especially for someone who would like to have a smoker for occasional use without the cost of a true smoker.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldseed
I suppose you could make one. But a smoker requires indirect heat. An old BBQ can't do that, unless you plan to burn charcoal on one side and have meat on the other. Then you'd have to regulate heat. The smoker has a charcoal chamber connected to the BBQ chamber. In the charcoal chamber you put your charcoal and continue to stoke it. The BBQ has a chimney so you have it covered. The charcoal chamber and chimney help you regulate heat without ever opening up the BBQ chamber.

hard to describe. once you see a smoker you'll know the difference.

I think I saw a smoker or two in my backyard. Do they look something like this?

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Okay, finally getting around to trying out that new smoker of mine. This is the one I bought from www.sausagemaker.com and is better suited for sausage smoking, as it can function at lower temps than my Cook Shack Smokette. Also, the Sausage Maker one has a chimney type flue, so you can get airflow, thus drying out items. This is important for many types of meats. Just normal sausage needs the casing dried, to develop a pellicle, so the smoke will stick. If you remember, the Cook Shack is specifically designed to retain moisture, perfect for the 14 hour brisket type smoking.

So, here's the set up now:

IMG_0636.jpg

You can see all the space inside the Sausage Maker, perfect for hanging sausage links or 24" chubs, like salami:

IMG_0637.jpg

You can see the wood chips/sawdust sit directly on an electric oven type burner. Here it is, the slab of bacon I cured all week, ready to take its first smoke:

IMG_0638.jpg

Nicely set up, dual thermometer, one for the item being smoked, the other ambient inside:

IMG_0639.jpg

Big con vs. the Smokette: rheostat control vs. a digital setting. It's so nice to set say, 225 degrees on the Smokette and it takes care of things. I'm having to play with the rheostat on this one.

Will update with bacon pic when done.

ADDED:

Getting close. Thermometer read 150. Rule #1: check in multiple places. Have to keep going. But boy is it looking tasty:

IMG_0641.jpg

ADDED:

Okay, it's all done. What a fantastic smoke it got. Kept the temp nice and low, took a "heavy smudge" as the pros say.

Skin side (skin's off, it's where the fat sits):

IMG_0642.jpg

Interior side:

IMG_0643.jpg

A slice off for tasting. Really shows the smoke ring. It was so eff'ing good:

IMG_0644.jpg

And all sliced up for lardon goodness.

IMG_0645.jpg

Hackett

Reaction score

Hackett

Reaction score
Hey hey hey
Smoke meat every day
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brinkmann makes some inexpensive bullet style smokers. $50-$70. They have ones that are built for charcoal and others that run with an electric coil. I actually have the type with an electric coil. It's a bit cheating, but it makes it easy to maintain the temperature. You just throw the wood chunks on from time to time to control the smoke.

They sell them at Home Depot and Lowes, but I'm sure you can order it online somewhere.

oldseed

Reaction score
I think I saw a smoker or two in my backyard. Do they look something like this?

lol, awesome. Piobaire for the win.

i love how you chopped up the pork into bite size pieces. they do that in chinese food shops for pork too.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote no. But let me tell you why. I have one, a nice brinkman. I can and have done sausage, pork, ribs, brisket and even chicken. While its cool and all, its a fricking process. and it takes all day. Then your either schnokered from drinking the whole time or you stink like ****. While the food has all been excellent, I pretty much had to swear off meat and that damn smell for like 2 months.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldseed
lol, awesome. Piobaire for the win.

i love how you chopped up the pork into bite size pieces. they do that in chinese food shops for pork too.

fistbump.gif

Originally Posted by jgold47
I vote no. But let me tell you why. I have one, a nice brinkman. I can and have done sausage, pork, ribs, brisket and even chicken. While its cool and all, its a fricking process. and it takes all day. Then your either schnokered from drinking the whole time or you stink like ****. While the food has all been excellent, I pretty much had to swear off meat and that damn smell for like 2 months.

Get the Cook Shack, like the one I have pictured above. Load it and forget it. I leave briskets for 10-14 hours, depending on size, without touching it once. Will come up to temp at 0F external temp.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fistbump.gif

Get the Cook Shack, like the one I have pictured above. Load it and forget it. I leave briskets for 10-14 hours, depending on size, without touching it once. Will come up to temp at 0F external temp.

How much do those normally run?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads