• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I buy a scooter?

ozymandias

Reaction score
Ok I live in a mid-small city under 100k pop. Major university. Being brainwashed by SF groupthink into rejecting any subpar products I just don't see myself riding in a rusty '99 Corolla. And spending 20 grand on an OK car is just not in my budget being a junior and all; especially since I'm moving in 3 years at the most.

I don't really want to ride a motorbike since Harleys have too much negative stigma and Kawasakis should be left to Japanese kids. Besides they don't work so well when wearing a suit.

I was pondering buying a scooter since 95% of my commutes are within 10km, and the city is pretty green and clean in its most parts. Something that goes up 70-80km on gas, 2 seats. I can just borrow one of my parents' cars for longer road trips.

As I understand they cost next to nothing at around 2-3k new and cheaper used. Insurance aparently is like 300/year (compared to 450/month when my dad added me to his insurance.)

What do you think, are there dos and don't to pull it off? Or can't it be done alltogether?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do it, and remember to wear your pink seersucker suit while riding it around town.

j/k. I think it's a great idea, if you don't have giant SUVs driving around your area at 80 mph.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Vespa_Acma_Type_1964_Vbb_150_.jpg

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following your logic of "Kawasakis should be left to Japanese kids", then scooters should be left to SoCal chicks and men with cheesy mustaches.

oroy38

Reaction score
Regardless of whether you're riding a scooter or a bike, you shouldn't be wearing a suit while riding. You should be wearing jeans and a leather jacket designed and rated for crashes. I've seen people go down on both bikes and scooters without wearing proper safety gear (padded leather jacket, leather riding gloves, full face helmet, and boots) and the results are not pretty. I used to ride one of those Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6Rs and I crashed coming around a corner. Long story short, if I wasn't wearing my leather riding jacket, my kevlar/leather gloves, and my full face helmet, and my boots I wouldn't be here to tell you about it, or I'd be a lot uglier than I already am.

So if you're going to start riding a scooter or a bike, get your head on straight and invest in the right safety gear. If you're not willing to forego looking chic in favor of safety, then get a car or use public transit. Just speaking from experience.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Vespa_Acma_Type_1964_Vbb_150_.jpg

ahh Vespas....I love 'em, but I don't trust 'em.

I now use one of these as my daily runabout...I'm happy with it:

main_Suzuki-Epicuro.jpg

Suzuki Epicuro.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ozymandias
As I understand they cost next to nothing at around 2-3k new and cheaper used. Insurance aparently is like 300/year (compared to 450/month when my dad added me to his insurance.)

????

Do you have like 3 DUIs or something?

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My main ride was a Vespa GT200 for over a year. Absolutely loved it, and would have loved it more had I lived in a city like the one you're describing. Toronto isn't the best or safest town to be riding on two wheels.

I say go for it, but make sure you've got at least 150 CCs under your belt. Don't fall for "50 CCs is all you need, mannnn!" It's not. And if you can afford one, buy a Vespa.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its like getting on a ********* man.... fun to ride but dont let your friends catch you doing it

ozymandias

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I are you aiming for irony?

not at all

ms244

Reaction score
Its certainly possible to buy a nice used car for under $3K out the door.

Its much easier to buy a really nice REAL motorcycle for $3k out the door. The scooter makes sense if you live in a very congested city (ex Rome) with draconian car ownership laws.

The reason Hondas and Kawasaki's are so popular is because they are durable and fast. A cafe racer is much more impressive then some Roketa from walmart (or wherever those wretched things come from).

ozymandias

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
Its certainly possible to buy a nice used car for under $3K out the door.

Its much easier to buy a really nice REAL motorcycle for $3k out the door. The scooter makes sense if you live in a very congested city (ex Rome) with draconian car ownership laws.

The reason Hondas and Kawasaki's are so popular is because they are durable and fast. A cafe racer is much more impressive then some Roketa from walmart (or wherever those wretched things come from).

Well what I'm really wondering is can you ride a motorcycle while wearing nice clothes? The few times I've been on one as a kid I remember them being pretty messy with oil everywhere and parts which are 80 deg if you touch them. It was a while ago but I'm not the denim stained jeans and thick leather jacket kind of guy.

oroy38

Reaction score
I'm gonna say it again: It's not worth it to run the risk of riding a motorcycle while not wearing the appropriate protective gear. If you're going to start riding, make sure you're ready to invest about $800 in quality safety gear: A quality full face helmet, a good leather jacket designed for riding, riding gauntlets, and good boots. If you go down, you're going to lose a lot of skin without the proper safety gear. I've seen people go down without wearing the proper gear, or wearing cheap gear, and the results are not pretty. Regardless of how good a rider you are, **** happens, and when it does, you're better off wearing all that "ugly" gear that's not GQ chic and saving your skin. Safety is a hell of a lot more important than style when it comes to riding bikes. This is the gear I wore: http://www.newenough.com/protective_...le_jacket.html http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eye...le_helmet.html http://www.newenough.com/boots/racin...ace_boots.html http://www.newenough.com/gloves/stre...le_gloves.html If I wasn't wearing this gear, I'd be a much uglier/deader person today. $1000 in gear is a lot better than $20,000 in medical expenses. I see too many idiots riding these days in improper gear. Don't be one of them, because if you're not wearing the right gear, then if you crash, it's going to be very bloody and very expensive. This goes for riding a scooter too.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ozymandias
Ok I live in a mid-small city under 100k pop. Major university. Being brainwashed by SF groupthink into rejecting any subpar products I just don't see myself riding in a rusty '99 Corolla. And spending 20 grand on an OK car is just not in my budget being a junior and all; especially since I'm moving in 3 years at the most.

I don't really want to ride a motorbike since Harleys have too much negative stigma and Kawasakis should be left to Japanese kids. Besides they don't work so well when wearing a suit.

I was pondering buying a scooter since 95% of my commutes are within 10km, and the city is pretty green and clean in its most parts. Something that goes up 70-80km on gas, 2 seats. I can just borrow one of my parents' cars for longer road trips.

What do you think, are there dos and don't to pull it off? Or can't it be done alltogether?

I say go for it but...

Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Do it, and remember to wear your pink seersucker suit while riding it around town.

Originally Posted by intent
Following your logic of "Kawasakis should be left to Japanese kids", then scooters should be left to SoCal chicks and men with cheesy mustaches.

Originally Posted by Davidko19
its like getting on a ********* man.... fun to ride but dont let your friends catch you doing it

...if a bunch of strangers on a fashion forum are calling you a sissy, you should already be well aware of how much flak you'll get IRL.

Which, I never understood, since they are so popular in Europe but then again, crocs are popular in the States.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads