• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I buy a condo/house instead of renting?

ms244

Reaction score
So, having finally escaped NJ, I am looking for a place to live. Thanks to all that responded to my 100 year old house thread, but I missed out on the place by about 3 hours.

Looking at the local mid-western housing market, I've come to realize, that even in my poor graduate student state, I might be able to afford my own piece of real estate.

My take home income is about $1700/month. I've seen some houses and condos in the $70-90K range. I can do a down payment of 10% on that (ie 7-9k in cash). Thing is, I don't have any credit history. I don't buy anything on credit (except for some school loans).

A decent one bedroom apartment here is near $450-500 month plus utilities.

Is this a good idea? I'm going to talk to a loan officer at my local bank tomorrow, any thoughts?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not going to bother with assessing your finances for you. If you can afford a house (mortgage, taxes, insurance, maintenance), have confidence in the housing market, and plan to stick around for a while (3+ year) then I say go ahead with buying the house/condo.

There is nothing wrong with renting if you need to more money, or if the market in your area is sh*t, or you plan on moving relatively soon.

Keep in mind if you buy the house and realize you need to move a few years later, you can always rent it out instead of selling.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
I've seen some houses and condos in the $70-90K range.
If I may ask - where do you live? I didn't know such inexpensive real estate existed anywhere in the US...

To answer your question, if a comparable apartment actually costs only 150 to 180x monthly rent, then I'd say yes, you should absolutely consider buying instead of renting

To give you an idea, buying a comparable apartment would cost me 300 to 400x monthly rent in New York City

ms244

Reaction score
I'm in Columbia, MO home of the many tigers that seem to inhabit the mid-west.

I just moved here from Jersey, and the housing market isn't too different then NY (say Long Island). Its a shock, people with pay less then mine have their own place (unlike in NJ where 27 year old college grads making 60K still live at home with their parents and G35s).

At this point I'm not planning on staying more then 3 or 4 years (unless I get a job offer here which is rather unlikely). Upon further investigation, the 60-70K houses are, shall we say, in need of a little TLC. But a nice condo can be had for about 100K and a nice home for 125K and up.

At this point I'm considering renting for a year and saving up for a place to fix up and sell for profit. I'm not sure I can close on a place in 45 days (when I have to move out of my current arrangements). For example, hardwood floors are relatively easy to put and an increase the value of a house a good bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics