• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should i alter my Giorgio Armani suit's pants?

hermes man

Reaction score
hi guys i am really fond of slim fit cutting suits from Z Zegna and Prada

however I do have one suit from Giorgio Armani bought OTR ...

the jacket fit is great however the pants is abit baggy .. but i was told that it is Giogio Armani trademark to have loose and baggy pants (as for their jacket its their trademark to be ventless)... i ve checked on their runway and it seems that their pants seems to be always baggy and loose...

so i would love to get opinion from fellow forumers on wether should i alter the pants to leg hugging cutting? will my giorgio armani lose its trademark if i alter it to slimfit? but i am afraid if would regret later...

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you've already cut the GA tags off the sleeve, then no one will ever know it's a GA suit. If you haven't, then no matter what the pants width is, people will still know that you have expensive taste.

BTW, I have a nice GA tie to go with that suit. I can part with it for $50.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes man
hi guys i am really fond of slim fit cutting suits from Z Zegna and Prada

however I do have one suit from Giorgio Armani bought OTR ...

the jacket fit is great however the pants is abit baggy .. but i was told that it is Giogio Armani trademark to have loose and baggy pants (as for their jacket its their trademark to be ventless)... i ve checked on their runway and it seems that their pants seems to be always baggy and loose...

so i would love to get opinion from fellow forumers on wether should i alter the pants to leg hugging cutting? will my giorgio armani lose its trademark if i alter it to slimfit? but i am afraid if would regret later...

A pic of how its supposed to look would be helpful

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is this like the functional cuffs unbuttoned button problem? as in 99% of people don't know fashion so they actually assume you made a mistake instead of giving you super credit. So the 1% who know armani (ie not Hermes Man's intended audience) will know, and everyone else will just think he's wearing an expensive baggy suit.

Bentley

Reaction score
I'd keep the pants as they are. That's how they were designed to look.

It sounds like you have lots of other slim cut suits/pants. Keeping the Armani as it is would allow you to change your look up from time to time.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Show us a picture. Generally, I'd say to have the pants the way you like them. Though in this case paying premium for a designer, then having them tailored to the contrary of what you paid for seems kinda foolish.

I think one reason people on this board look down so much on designers, is that they do the job for other people that we want for ourselves. Most people here have their own ideas on good fit, and don't care to purchase another opinion.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just keep the pants the way they are. In future dont buy Giorgio Armani suits unless you are 100% happy with the fit. If you like the cut of Prada or Z Zegna, then stick with these. If you really like Giorgio Armani style on the jackets (not pants), buy their sport coats, blazers or odd jackets instead of their suits. Simple, problem solved. There are lots of suits I avoid buying because of some fit problems - the only logical solution is do not buy them.

Oh yes, for slim fitting stylish suit, look out for Tom Ford or Ralph Lauren Black Label. These labels should also be on your radar, I assume you can get them in Malaysia.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
If you've already cut the GA tags off the sleeve, then no one will ever know it's a GA suit. If you haven't, then no matter what the pants width is, people will still know that you have expensive taste.

BTW, I have a nice GA tie to go with that suit. I can part with it for $50.

Hermes man is a brand whore.
I bet he never cut off the GA tags from the sleeves. Seriously.
He also wont' buy your GA tie even if its brand new and you are selling it for $5.

He wants to undergo the brand whore buying experience and carry the branded GA paper bag to impress the strangers in the mall.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
I used to work for Armani, and yeah his specialty is in drape so the lines of the suit are supposed to flow. I'm guessing it's either going to be the Giorgio body or the soft body, either way you are looking at a soft shouldered garment with a relaxed cut. The problem with slimming down the pants too much (you can a bit) is that if will screw up the lines of the suit. It helps if you also slim down the jacket, but then you're going to find that the sleeves don't look quite right because they're still looser. Every part of the suit is considered with how it works together, so modifying any part will look unusual. The soft shoulders are a bit more forgiving if you slim the pant and the jacket, but I don't recommend it.

In the future, ask for a metropolitan cut if you want Armani. That's his slim cut. In the mean time, you can maybe slim the pants a bit if you do the body as well, but it's going against the original design ethos of the suit, so just do so cautiously to make sure it still looks alright.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Sartorial
I used to work for Armani, and yeah his specialty is in drape so the lines of the suit are supposed to flow. I'm guessing it's either going to be the Giorgio body or the soft body, either way you are looking at a soft shouldered garment with a relaxed cut. The problem with slimming down the pants too much (you can a bit) is that if will screw up the lines of the suit. It helps if you also slim down the jacket, but then you're going to find that the sleeves don't look quite right because they're still looser. Every part of the suit is considered with how it works together, so modifying any part will look unusual. The soft shoulders are a bit more forgiving if you slim the pant and the jacket, but I don't recommend it.

In the future, ask for a metropolitan cut if you want Armani. That's his slim cut. In the mean time, you can maybe slim the pants a bit if you do the body as well, but it's going against the original design ethos of the suit, so just do so cautiously to make sure it still looks alright.

Sounds sensible. Hermesman, for the record has been chill enough with all the hate we lump on him to the point where I don't feel good doing it. He's a brand whore for certain, but he's not so much so that he doesn't make legitimate decisions along the way. Kudos to folks who are just answering the damn question. You should cut him some slack Jango.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Sounds sensible. Hermesman, for the record has been chill enough with all the hate we lump on him to the point where I don't feel good doing it. He's a brand whore for certain, but he's not so much so that he doesn't make legitimate decisions along the way. Kudos to folks who are just answering the damn question. You should cut him some slack Jango.

Err, wasnt he the one who bought those awful LV shoes despite overwhelming replies that he should steer away from them?

Also, I recall someone did offering to sell him something he was going to pay full retail for. And he declined because he wanted to enjoy the process of carrying the brand's paper bag around in the mall.

I bet hermes man has already decided to alter the Armani pants based on whatever his idol did. So his posts here are mainly just to reinforce his already made decisions.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rufino
pics!

Go to his blog. Honestly dont know what Hermes Man is complaining about with his suit, it looks fine. I would be more worried about the single button jacket with ventless back than I would about the pants.

Originally Posted by Jangofett
Err, wasnt he the one who bought those awful LV shoes despite overwhelming replies that he should steer away from them?

Indeed, but he must have liked the shoes more than our opinions about them. I dont like his LV shoes, but he does and thats the main thing. We cant all be liking the same stuff otherwise we will all be clones.

Also, I recall someone did offering to sell him something he was going to pay full retail for. And he declined because he wanted to enjoy the process of carrying the brand's paper bag around in the mall.

Thats Hilarious, quite sad really, but hilarious
lol8[1].gif

I bet hermes man has already decided to alter the Armani pants based on whatever his idol did. So his posts here are mainly just to reinforce his already made decisions.

I hope for his sake he just leaves the suit alone and accepts it looks fine as it is. It also looks like he is opening up to other possibilities away from the main fashion houses, we should encourage him.

hermes man

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback guys.. i think ill let it be the way it is...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads