Should i abandon this store after being insulted?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HeyYouItsMike, Oct 20, 2004.

1. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Because it's always fun to think them up for others, here's a few clever comebacks:

"Pale? I am pale. I'm white. Is everyone who works in this store a racist?" (Last part said really loudly, assuming you are white).

"That jacket (or whatever he's wearing) makes you look like a pompous buffoon."

"My wife/mother just died of cancer. I guess I wasn't thinking when I got dressed."

(Headbutt) "You have blood on your shirt."

2. tsloop

tsloop Senior member

When I used to go to Saks here in San Francisco I found that there were 2 sales people who always tended to ignore me, and when I would ask them for help they would usually just roll their eyes and reluctantly help me. At first it would get me pretty angry, until I realized that even if they aren't willing to help, there is always someone there who is, so now when I go in it doesn't even bother me, I ignore them and look around to find one of the poeple that I know will be willing to spend a little bit of their time with me.

3. petescolari

petescolari Senior member

I wouldn't sweat it. Obviously, the salesman wasn't very tactful in making his point, regardless if he was right or not. I could imagine a comment like that being correct if you were trying the sweater on and thinking of purchasing it.

Probably everyone on this board has been treated impolitely a few times. Most likely it wasn't your first time and it won't be your last. My advice is to find the best sales clerk in the store, explain what your preferences are and that you buy often (monthly in your case). Introduce yourself, call him/her by their name. Try to deal with this person, that way you won't have 10 different critics/salespeople approaching you.

4. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

Say "Thanks for noticing, I appreciate your advice. Maybe you could pull out a few of the sale items that should work better. Also would be kind enough to pull out a few pieces that I should stay away from - just to illustrate your point".

Basically engage him, esp if he is a snazzy dresser. If he is snotty, fulfill his need for affirmation/approval. He may surprise you by letting you know what useful stuff is going on sale on particular days etc.

-

5. Styleman

Styleman In Time Out

Or just "Well boss, do you really think an east-end guv like me is gonna buy anything anyway, just try and get ur Yardies on me."

6. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I'm not a fan of being an outright ass, nor do I have the ego or look to play the hand of the enraged histrionic.  The simplest tactic for annoying anyone in sales is to hurt them financially, specifically, walk into the store on a busy Saturday select the WORST clerk, browse the racks and select your intended purchases, and then ask said clerk for his assistance in trying stuff on, finding sizes, etc.  Once you finalize your purchases head to the register and choose the nicest fellow in the place and attribute the sales to him/her.  I've done this twice at the Sak's Fifth in NYC.  Hey, it was only a $150 sale, but I consumed at least 15 minutes of this guy's time and managed to reward another salesman who provided great service in the past...

Petty, maybe, but it doesn't require any extra effort on my part.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Norcaltransplant, Wow. I believe that this tactic is called "subversive ass" as opposed to outright. Kudos to you. I prefer the direct route, but maybe I just like the attention [​IMG]

8. HeyYouItsMike

HeyYouItsMike Well-Known Member

I forgot the funniest part of the story. After the insult, I tried on a jacket that was a very similar color to my sweater. The guy said it looked great on me.

9. Ed13

Ed13 Senior member

I wouldn't even bother to say anything to the sales rep. If it really bothered me I would no longer shop at that store. Is the aggravation it causes you worth the few dollars you save? You have to be the judge of that.

10. arvi

arvi Senior member

i would make sure that next time i shop there and buy a lot to give the sale to another salesman..make sure that mr. tact sees.(sort of like julia roberts did in "pretty woman" to the saleswoman that had treated like crap).anyway, remember always that salespeople are there to serve you ,not the other way around..

11. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

I have worked as a sales clerk, and I will tell you something: Outside of Wilkes Bashford (or Louis Boston, or Bergdorf's, or the Andover Shop, or Bennie's of Atlanta), there isn't a single sales clerk in the country who wouldn't give anything to change places with his lowliest customer.  It is a bone-wearying, utterly thankless job that doesn't pay anything.

So treat the nasty ones with benevolent disregard.

12. christian

christian Senior member

kidkim2,

I totally agree, since I too worked as one. No respect from either the customers or the managers for somewhere around minimum wage as well as insignifigant discounts.

Perhaps, its the tone that offended the poster. But, wouldn't you prefer the sales clerk to not pander to tell by telling you everything looks perfect on you. It would be great if more people actually knew what they were doing, and what looks good on the customer.

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I actually prefer a salesperson to be straight up. But there are good ways of saying something, and bad ways.

Another plug for Luke at Louis Boston. He liked the fit of one piece (Cloak), I liked another (Neil Barrett), on me. Result - haven't bought either piece yet. But I can say that I've gotten a good opinion - and the odds are I'll get one of the two at some point. And next time I am at Louis (not for a while, I have a spending moratorium in effect as well, excepting underwear, socks, and purchases under $50 (i.e. nothing at Louis, not even socks); chances are I'll ask for his advice again, and trust that it is frankly given. I haven't bought much from Louis (a postdoc salary is really a pittance), but I've gotten mileage out of everything I've gotten there. I have pretty strong opinions, but I'm sure that Luke's opinion has helped me pick out good pieces for myself.

14. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

The idea that someone intended "you look pale" as an insult bothers me greatly. If you have fair skin like I do, certain colors may flatter it more than others, but no color will suddenly make you appear to have a rich olive complexion.

I also think that the line "you need a tan" is all kinds of rude.

15. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

First question, was it truly the tone, or the accent with which the words were biting with, secondly, although i think using a good tone with a custmer is the right way to impress, would you rather a salesperso to be honest, or sell you something that might not be right...i personally would rather loose a sale than see a man walk with the wrong product, in the end, he will be upset either way...but admittedly, there is a correct way to get the point across without being insulting...maybe he just needs better training, but if I felt that bothered, the money savings would not be everything, especially if i patronized a place that often where the work force should recognize my face....find a new place [​IMG]