• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should high rise pants be pleated?

EricDL

Reaction score
I am a skinny guy, and I have always read on sites that flat-front pants will flatter me more. But I have also realized that the same people who give this advice might wear their flat-front pants an inch or more below the navel, which I don't like to do. As a skinny guy I like to wear my pants at or above the navel. I recently bought, in keeping with this, a pair of MTM pants, flat-front with a high rise, and side adjusters rather than belt tabs. I really like the style, except that I find that high rise flat-front pants look a bit odd when worn above the navel. Am I right in assuming that high rise pants should be pleated? Were pleats always traditional around the early 1900's on all of the high-rise trousers, in Britain and America?

I have no problem with pleats, and I feel sure that they would flatter my skinny form as well. My question is whether high rise pants should have pleats, or if traditionally some were flat-fronted as well? I have also read on websites occasionally that some people dislike pleated chinos and pleated linen pants. I wonder, if I want high-rise chinos or high-rise linen pants, should I specify flat-front rather than pleats only on these? Or am I getting mixed signals from the low rise and the high rise crowd? All that I know for sure is that I like a high rise, but I wonder if pleats on certain materials like linen are inappropriate or odd. Finally, if I have horizontal pockets on a pair of casual linen pants, which I do, is it possible that these can have pleats? Or do the horizontal pockets, which fall in front of where pleats would conceivably be, prevent the usage of pleats?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think normal rise (what you call high rise) pants should have pleats because you will have a large amount of space on your abdomen and having pleats breaks up the area. If you wear actual highrise(above navel) then you deff need pleats. That's my opinion anyway.

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Not quite often do we get answers as clear and pertinent as yours, Texas Jack.

How about forward or reverse pleats? When should a pair of trousers have one kind or the other?

Originally Posted by texas_jack
I think normal rise (what you call high rise) pants should have pleats because you will have a large amount of space on your abdomen and having pleats breaks up the area. If you wear actual highrise(above navel) then you deff need pleats. That's my opinion anyway.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pleats on casual linen pants are unnecessary. You were wise to ask.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently saw LA Confidential; and the millionaire in there, who was quite thin, wore these attractive pleated high-rise pants, so they can work for thin people although they have to be cut extremely well.

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Would your advice apply to linen pants with button brances, especially a pair that is part of a summer suit, worn by a gentleman for strolling outdoors?
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant

What does this mean? When are pleats ever "necessary"?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wearing them - high rise, double forward pleats - right now (Oxxford MTM)

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
High rise trousers are best with pleats, regardless of cloth used.

High rise + no pleats = flamenco dancer.

Choosing reverse or regular pleats is personal preference but I find reverse more flattering on most body types. Regular pleats make the trouser look like they are "grinning" to me.

Horizontal pockets don't work with pleats. Side, 1/4 top. or besom do.

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
I'm only wondering whether forward pleats (i.e., the sharp edge of the pleat/s point towards the middle of the trousers' front) are for trousers (normally high rise, or defined by some experts, who are probably right, to be normal rise) to be used with braces, while reverse pleats (i.e., the sharp edge of the pleat/s point towards the sides of the trousers) are for trousers (normally low rise) with belt loops.

Any guide rules on this?
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by Despos
High rise trousers are best with pleats, regardless of cloth used.

High rise + no pleats = flamenco dancer.

Choosing reverse or regular pleats is personal preference but I find reverse more flattering on most body types. Regular pleats make the trouser look like they are "grinning" to me.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Happy Stroller
I'm only wondering whether forward pleats (i.e., the sharp edge of the pleat/s point towards the middle of the trousers' front) are for trousers (normally high rise, or defined by some experts, who are probably right, to be normal rise) to be used with braces, while reverse pleats (i.e., the sharp edge of the pleat/s point towards the sides of the trousers) are for trousers (normally low rise) with belt loops.

Any guide rules on this?
bigstar[1].gif

There seems to be no correlation on that. It's mostly personal preference or random choice by the designer/suitmaker in most cases.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Happy Stroller

Any guide rules on this?
bigstar[1].gif

The only accepted practice I am aware of, this was years ago, is suit trousers had no belt loops and odd trousers had belt loops. I think braces were worn with suits and not with odd trousers so a belt was worn.

I see the English favor regular (forward) pleats and Italians reverse.
I am not aware if any connection to pleat direction and length of rise.

augustin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos

I'd like to know more about the pocket-pleat relationship. Any source for pictures that show the different pocket types with forward and reverse pleats?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Regular pleats almost always are best done with the pocket done vertically on the side seam. The spacing of the first and second pleat are farther apart and the pocket is best on seam.

Reverse pleats are closer together and can accomodate and look best with 1/4 top on inset besom pocket.

Don't know if these are rules that cannot be changed. Just what I see as most commonly done and what looks best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads