• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should Asians wear tweeds, browns, and bold patterns?

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The forum loves tweed jackets, browns beyond just shoes, and bold patterns (often involving browns and tweeds). These things make me think of the English countryside, though the styles have clearly been adopted globally.

In China, many people believe that browns and bold patterns are not appropriate for Asians. My experience has been that most people here are not attracted to these exceedingly Western styles. I say "exceedingly" because the way Asians and Caucasians dress has been Western for some time, but somehow tweed jackets (and bow ties) come off as looking even more Western simply because it is not as common to see non-Western people wearing them as it is to see them in Western business attire and tuxedos.

From a complexion perspective, the conventional wisdom, which may not be right, is that Asians look better in "high contrast" colors like black, navy and white. However, it is understandable that people might want to go beyond these restrictions and there are also a huge range of complexions among Asians.

Many of the more fashionable here in Beijing (these may not be stylish by forum standards) opt for blacks and grays as well as generally more modern styles. I think that Asians can get away with very fashionable looks much more easily than most caucasians. Can they get away with the more traditional styles (particularly browns and tweed jackets) too?

Obviously, as with every other race, tall, slim and generally model-like Asians have far more flexibility in terms of what they can wear.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mafoofan looks damn good in his .

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Today, I saw a very stylish Japanese gentleman, probably in his 50s, wearing a brown tweed three-piece with a very subtle blue and pink checked shirt and a muted dark green paisley tie, with a brown fedora, round wire-framed specs, and dark brown captoes. Taken separately, you wouldn't think the suit-shirt-tie combination could work together, but it struck exactly the right balance for him. Best dressed man I've seen during this whole 3-day weekend.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
I'm not sure it is has anything to do with race. Some men look great in bold patterns and some do not.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes they can, its just that browns/tweeds/patterns are not as common as solid charcoal or black in Asia.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
The forum loves tweed jackets, browns beyond just shoes, and bold patterns (often involving browns and tweeds). These things make me think of the English countryside, though the styles have clearly been adopted globally.

In China, many people believe that browns and bold patterns are not appropriate for Asians. My experience has been that most people here are not attracted to these exceedingly Western styles. I say "exceedingly" because the way Asians and Caucasians dress has been Western for some time, but somehow tweed jackets (and bow ties) come off as looking even more Western simply because it is not as common to see non-Western people wearing them as it is to see them in Western business attire and tuxedos.

From a complexion perspective, the conventional wisdom, which may not be right, is that Asians look better in "high contrast" colors like black, navy and white. However, it is understandable that people might want to go beyond these restrictions and there are also a huge range of complexions among Asians.

Many of the more fashionable here in Beijing (these may not be stylish by forum standards) opt for blacks and grays as well as generally more modern styles. I think that Asians can get away with very fashionable looks much more easily than most caucasians. Can they get away with the more traditional styles (particularly browns and tweed jackets) too?

Obviously, as with every other race, tall, slim and generally model-like Asians have far more flexibility in terms of what they can wear.

Why do people incessantly use the word Asian to refer exclusively to East Asians?

HHD

Reaction score
Of course they should wear tweeds and browns. There was a really good article in Monsieur magazine a few years ago about Anglophile Japanese in Tokyo, the subjects profiled looked amazing.

Bold patterns aren't for everyone, though, and are more a matter of taste.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Funny that this subject comes up now. I was at dinner last night wearing one of my brownish 'tweed' jackets. Some innocent comments were made about my 'English professor' outfit; I was asked if I liked to wear three-piece suits and bowties, too.

So, I agree that people associate certain things with the jackets the OP describes. But I also think it would be silly to let that matter to you.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tweeds and browns are not all that common in the US, either.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hadamulletonce
I'm not sure it is has anything to do with race. Some men look great in bold patterns and some do not.

+1 in my opinion

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots

Dressing for positive local cultural and immediate social reaction is different than dressing according to standards and habits that do not typify what is local and immediate to you.

Which you choose is up to you: your need for approval; your tolerance for unpopularity; the level of satisfaction that you derive from personal choice.

As for the specifics of your question, there are many dapper Japanese and Hong Kong Chinese who do not dress bounded by the constraints that you describe, even though those constraints still typify the common dress around them.

- B

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
It probably depends on whether someone feels he looks good in the tweeds and browns.

I don't know that you can just give out a rule for an entire ethnic group.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads