• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should a man have a signature scent? How many of you do and what is it?

Greathim

Reaction score
I have invested a lot on fragrances from byredo to creed however I just dont get the point of spending 300 dollars on a bottle of cologne anymore. I was thinking of making acqua di parma fico di Amalfi my signature because it is not that expensive and is available in my country while other brands arent but tbh my whole idea behind buying an expensive scent now is to smell rich and sophisticated however shallow that may sound. I mean most people around me in the office smell the same. Mostly it's just aqua di gio or something run of the mill but my boss puts on silver mountain water by creed and it just smells heavenly to me.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
For a long time, I wore nothing but Creed Himalaya.

After I had been wearing Himalaya for a bit, Aventus came out, and I loved it, so I mostly wore Aventus for a long time.

Now, though, I prefer to have a lot of fragrances in rotation. It's more interesting for me that way because that way I don't become anosmic to what I'm wearing very easily. Honestly, it sucks to be wearing something great but not be able to smell it because I've become noseblind to it as a result of wearing it every day.

JoyFan

Reaction score
IMHO a man should have as many scents as he wants. As for me it mostly depends on my mood and whether I want to feel what I wear or I don't.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fragrance collections are like wardrobes of scent. You need to have a few for different moods and times of the day - at least three: one for day, one for evening, and one for summer. Choosing different scents for the day isn't like choosing an accessory, but more like choosing a complimentary outfit. You're literally wearing the scent.

If I had to narrow everything down to a signature, for me it would involve something woody, leathery, and resinous/incense all at once. But again, this would be a favourite like a favourite suit, and not suitable for the hotter months.

DrewMill

Reaction score
Right now I pair my fragrances to the seasons, and I'm thinking about going for season plus day/night. I flip between Creed and Floris, with a little Penhaligon's, Acqua di Parma, and Hermes thrown in. I also tried to play around with Guerlain and Caron, but they were a little too French for me, if that makes any sense.

teddyc4

Reaction score
If you like scent, I’d say choose at least one for warm days and one for cool ones. For me, that means one with wintry spices and one that leans citrus.

For warm days …

Daily driver: Terre d’Hermes eau de toilette (starts off somewhat pine-y, then evokes oranges and earth, then a mineral-y, seaside smell)

Nighttime and special occasions: Christian Dior Eau Sauvage vintage eau de toilette (goes on lemony and then develops a sophisticated musk—unfortunately the current version lacks the sexy/dirty drydown, due to limitations on the use of oak moss, mainly) OR L’Artisan Parfumeur’s Timbuktu (in the original bottle with the blue label—this took a while to grow on me, since I’d always recoiled at patchouli, but its dry desert spice market smells now just seem dirty in the best way)

For cool days …

Daily driver: vintage Cacharel Pour l’Homme (the bottle with the stylized duck on it—this nutmeg explosion isn’t as explosive these days)

Nighttime and special occasions: vintage Chanel Égoïste eau de toilette (note: not Platinum Égoïste, which is related in name only—the regular Égoïste smells like cola and sandalwood, which to my nose is a good thing) OR pre-2017 Christian Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (a myrrh monster; warm, spicy, unlike anything else)

stinkybarbour

Reaction score
After years of parting with serious cash with the likes of Creed, it's Czech and Speake for me. I've always been a fan of 'Cuba' and 'No.88' but Ive settled on 'Oxford and Cambridge' for warm spring/summer days, 'Perfecto Fino' for evenings. Every time, and I mean every time, I wear Perfecto Fino I get stopped and asked what I'm wearing.

DrewMill

Reaction score
After years of parting with serious cash with the likes of Creed, it's Czech and Speake for me. I've always been a fan of 'Cuba' and 'No.88' but Ive settled on 'Oxford and Cambridge' for warm spring/summer days, 'Perfecto Fino' for evenings. Every time, and I mean every time, I wear Perfecto Fino I get stopped and asked what I'm wearing.

That's a brand I've never tried, Have to check them out. Thanks!

Giannis

Reaction score
For me, it should be 3-5 signature scents on rotation based on the weather, the mood and the occasion.
I wear Creed Aventus most of the time.
When the weather is very hot, I would choose Armani rose Arabie ( magnificent)
During summer months in the daytime Floris no.89
And then jo malone incense cedrat, Tom Ford Tuscan leather, amouage jubilation xxv and guerlain santal Royal

Anachronist

Reaction score
To drop in a slightly different approach: I did rotate scents a lot some years ago and still think this is great fun. However, I‘ve somehow reached a point, where I wanted to go back to my roots with a scent that always remained my absolute favorite over the years, vintage Aramis Havana. I finished up all other scents and now find myself completely happy just wearing this scent as it just feels like „me“, if you know what I mean.

Octobab

Reaction score
A local maker near where I live does a small range of candles, lotions, fragrances etc in a new unisex fragrance each season. They're not Tom Ford or Aventus, but they're simple and elegant, the seasonal mood they give off is always perfect, and I've found that every 3-4 months is just right, as I'm starting to fall out of love with a scent but don't yet hate it.

https://www.almampls.com/store/category/apothecary/ The web store is pretty sparse, but chances are there's at least someone doing something similar in any given city

Stylish Guy

Reaction score
When I was younger I used after-shave and sometimes cologne.
I would like to start experimenting a little bit with it again , but I find so many places are "scent free."

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simple answer: no.

I wear scents as I wear clothes. My choice of scent depends on the activity, season, weather, time of day, mood, outfit etc. There is already a scent thread on SF, a good idea would be to check it out.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Oh for god's sake, NO!!!!

I don't care what your swoop-juice cost, it still reeks like Axe body spray. Leave cologne for the Jersey Shore crowd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads