• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shorts: What will be your "1 step above the masses" pair this summer?

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
A gentlemen doesn't show his legs in public.
rolleyes.gif

Says a man that must not spent a lot of summer time in 100+ temperatures.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
shorts_12_low_res_web1.jpg

Rubinacci Gurkhas (on the left), one in each color of the rainbow and lined in the waistband and crotch with CVS cloth tape.

I should be able to go all of the summer without laundering. The SW&D kids call this, "whiskering."

fistbump.gif

lol8[1].gif

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Maybe Mr. Tom Ford doesn't either then eh?

Not that we need Mr. Tom Ford's assent, but if wearing a fine fabric, does the absence of a few feet of pant length make such a difference in cooling? Or is it because shorts are open and allow ventilation? Why not install some gussets or air holes in your next pair of pants?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CJones
Billy Reid makes good shorts. I have two pairs. One is a chambray and the other a khaki linen. They're short and they feel very nice. I bought them on sale a month or two ago but would definitely recommend them even at full price. I'll be rocking these most of summer:
billy%20reid%20wilson%20shorts%20in%20blue%20fronrt.jpg

I like those. Do you have a link to that? Got to be careful with the denim looking Billy Reid's. (chambray) For example, these look like people of Walmart "jorts" (at $135, suckers)
billy-reid-wilson-short-1-150x150.jpg
http://www.selectism.com/news/2010/0...-wilson-short/

mic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hookem12387
Says a man that must not spent a lot of summer time in 100+ temperatures.

Hey, we don't all live in the warm part of the country. Generally speaking, I don't wear shorts unless I'm excercising or at the beach.

As an aside, the GF (in NYC) called last night when she spotted a guy on the street wearing a bow tie, patent leather shoes and a cream jacket ...with matching short-shorts.

It's starting to worry me that she knows I'd want to hear about that.
blush.gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mic
Hey, we don't all live in the warm part of the country. Generally speaking, I don't wear shorts unless I'm excercising or at the beach.

As an aside, the GF (in NYC) called last night when she spotted a guy on the street wearing a bow tie, patent leather shoes and a cream jacket ...with matching short-shorts.

It's starting to worry me that she knows I'd want to hear about that.
blush.gif

Well, you haven't scared her away yet, that's a positive sign.

CJones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I like those. Do you have a link to that?

Got to be careful with the denim looking Billy Reid's. (chambray)
For example, these look like people of Walmart "jorts" (at $135, suckers)
billy-reid-wilson-short-1-150x150.jpg

http://www.selectism.com/news/2010/0...-wilson-short/

Billy Reid's online store has them. I didn't realize they were $145. I bought both pairs on sale at Billy Reid's Florence store for $60 total. Mine fall two to three inches higher above my knees than that pair on the model. It could be because my pairs are size 28.

They don't look too much like denim, but hey, at $145 I'd make sure.

pgd3

Reaction score
My rule about shorts.

Never for business, Never for airline travel, Never for going out in the evening.

But if it is a hot sunday and I am in the yard, or at the grocery store, then I will wear a nice pair of Khaki shorts.

My oddity, I do not ever use jean shorts. Only Khaki. And I rarely wear Khaki slacks.

ktrp

Reaction score
Denim shorts are stupid. If its hot enough to wear shorts, you don't want a heavy fabric like denim.

I'm speaking about men's shorts obviously. Extremely tight and short women's denim shorts are cut short not because of the temperature, but rather to look slutty, so that is perfectly reasonable.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My preference is for more than one step above.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need one more pair of Orlebar Brown shorts that I use mainly for beachvolley. I have already 2 pairs, but one is a bit small (Bulldog, 34 waist, mid-length, white-blue), the other fits fine but too long (Dane model in red, size 36).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads