• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shorts in Italy

M Colleague

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will be in Rome this month and I wonder to what extent it is acceptable to wear shorts in Italy (in the city) nowadays.

Firstly, I'm talking about somewhat dressy chino shorts - nothing too short or baggy or with cargo pockets or that looks like swimwear. Combined with a nice button down and white socks and crocs ...ermmm, i mean boat shoes.
And secondly, I wouldn't dream of entering a church or restaurant like that. But during the day? In the park, on the street?

I know that traditionally Italians frowned upon pasty tourists wearing shorts - but nowadays I see stylish Italians wear them all the time on fashion blogs and elsewhere on the internets.

So, can anyone who travels Italy frequently provide some current insight into this issue?

Thank you very much! :)

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Purists will poo-poo shorts, but wear whatever makes you most comfortable. The man wearing a full suit, sweating in St. Peter's Square is far more laughable than the guy comfortably making his way through the city. However, as you said, make sure they have a tailored fit: They should have a slightly lower rise than formal pants but fit like trousers through the thigh and the hem should hit an inch (or two if you're feeling daring) above the knee.

Per your footwear, if you're wearing shorts, you shouldn't be wearing socks. Period.

w0lf

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will be in Rome this month and I wonder to what extent it is acceptable to wear shorts in Italy (in the city) nowadays.

Firstly, I'm talking about somewhat dressy chino shorts - nothing too short or baggy or with cargo pockets or that looks like swimwear. Combined with a nice button down and white socks and crocs ...ermmm, i mean boat shoes.
And secondly, I wouldn't dream of entering a church or restaurant like that. But during the day? In the park, on the street?

I know that traditionally Italians frowned upon pasty tourists wearing shorts - but nowadays I see stylish Italians wear them all the time on fashion blogs and elsewhere on the internets.

So, can anyone who travels Italy frequently provide some current insight into this issue?

Thank you very much! :)

You're good to go, but leave the socks out and just wear the boat shoe on your bare feet, id suggest some linen shirts if you're willing to wear some long sleeved button downs as these are years most hot days over here (it's 97°F right now) you'll need something extremely fresh.
Just keep in mind that as long as you're not wearing shorts with socks and sandals, no one will even notice.

Why do germans tourists like to do this so much?

If you have any other questions about the city just ask as I live here, hope it helped and have fun

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above. You can wear shorts and be well dressed, as it fits the occasion. As noted, slim fitting, 1 to 2 inch above the knee, no accoutrements. I like a reddish chino short with a lightweight chambray shirt and driving mocs.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shorts are fine almost everywhere during the day (I wouldn't at the Vatican).

In Rome in August crazy not to wear shorts unless you have to wear pants.

Stugotes

Reaction score
Being in (inland) Italy in August is crazy enough all by itself.

Punjabjat

Reaction score
I'd opt for pants personally, but I avoid shorts in general..but definitely, like everyone said...fit is most important.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine. In restaurants you will also be fine, even in the evening, though the elderly locals will have mostly switched to trousers. For young people shorts are very much de rigueur for all occasions in the high summer unless at an event of the utmost formality. Bear in mind, however, that if you see a nice church down a back street that isn't touristic on your travels you won't be allowed in - unless they have those touristic cotton sari things they hand out, which they won't. The pros and cons do vary if it is a touristic visit as in various places in Italy I've seen a nice church and not been allowed in due to wearing shorts. Please don't wear socks you'll stick out like a sore thumb.

As the Roman says above, you're better with linen - for both your shirt and trousers. You can always tell the tourists really, as they seem to want to wear as few clothes as possible whereas locals who are more acclimatised to the heat are more content with normal clothing but in lightweight fabrics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads