Shorts and a Blazer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by greger, Feb 5, 2012.

1. landshark

landshark Senior member

Do you not?

2. RSS

RSS Senior member

I have certainly seen this done in Australia ... as well as a few other British 'outposts' ... particularly those with very hot and humid summers.

3. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

I've heard about it being done in Australia but this is the first confirmation I've ever gotten. I think it would have to be an East Coast thing? Out here any gentleman dressing in shorts is probably playing tennis or digging in the garden. Admittedly, I wear them out to eat in the heat of August and September but as the man said, if it's hot enough for shorts, it's too hot for a jacket. When the shorts go on, the jacket comes off . . . unless you are in Bermuda, of course. I'm more likely to go with a upscale aloha shirt, myself.

4. RSS

RSS Senior member

Upscale or not, it's still an aloha shirt.

Some of you seem to be missing the entire point. Neither an upscale nor a downscale aloha shirt is even remotely similar to the degree of dress conferred by the jacket, 'dress' shirt, tie, Bermuda shorts, & over the calf cotton socks. They are not even remotely similar, with each serving a very different purpose and set of circumstances. Were the two types of clothing present at an event, someone would be dressed improperly; which depends on the function and level of formality -- or lack thereof -- required.

Style in America -- and around the world -- has fallen so far that most people are incapable of even comprehending the difference between informal (a lounge suit), casual (an odd jacket) and what some now call street attire. We live in a time when the word 'smart' has to be added to the term 'casual' simply to have most people understand that shorts or jeans and a T-shirt won't make the grade on a particular occasion. And even then most men won't opt for a jacket; they'll likely choose khakis and a knit polo/tennis shirt ... or an aloah shirt.

Well, that's the way things are in this dumbed-down age. It's a time of style without substance or content.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

5. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

Lots of stuff gets done down here in Australialand.
    The thing about hot enough for shorts too hot for jacket may not always hold in Melbourne though. We are pretty much known for wild temperature changes within a day. It can be particularly cool early in the morning and then blistering heat in the afternoon followed by late change in the evening where the temperature can drop by more than 10 degrees celcius. So having a light jacket around might not be such a bad idea.

But... WTF is with that RL above. Tweed up top and shorts and sockless loafers below? Does not compute.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

7. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Yeh there's many times he does not compute..
    [​IMG]

I often look at the RL site, see what crazy shit is on there.

8. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Totally agree. Also referring back to the grey jacket, grey tie photo, you shouldn't wear a tie with shorts, and even more so if you've foregone socks!

Shorts are NEVER acceptable in a professional/business setting. Even if an invite to a business-social allows it, you should still not turn up in shorts.

9. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

WTF???? where to start? At least lose the tie & unbutton the jacket.
    Then get a lightweight jacket/blazer that matches the reason you presumably are wearing shorts in the first place.
    Then find a pair of shorts that don't look like you've borrowed them from your girlfriend.
    And those things on the front of your legs are kneecaps, that where shorts should end.
    As for the shirt, madras is fine with shorts...but with shorts only!

10. RSS

RSS Senior member

Ralph's theme is predominantly things WASP ... and Ralph isn't really from that world. Still, he does it better than most other pretenders.

11. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Know thyself.

As a short non-anglo man, I know shorts are not an option except while poolside and on the beach.

12. RSS

RSS Senior member

Depends upon where one lives or how widely one travels. In most of the world your point of view is correct. But there are indeed a few few places where a particular cut of shorts is quite acceptable in a business setting.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. RSS

RSS Senior member

Well, B, that wasn't what I had in mind. Obviously I don't watch enough cable TV.

But, this brought back memories of Buffy. Oh, those were the days.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

15. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Worth requoting in full.