• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shorter t-shirts?

atroopan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
I have always preferred to wear casual cotton knits (long and short sleeved t shirts, cotton turtlenecks, henleys, and work-out sleeveless t's and tanks) short/cropped and untucked. Years ago I stopped wasting the time looking for the length I like, often not to be found anyway, and began having them shortened by the alterations person at my cleaners. No need to use my tailor for this simple operation. But as long as I'm spending about $10 per for alteration, I buy quality and wash them several times to make sure all shrinkage has occured before shortening, and that way there good almost forever.

Words of wisdom here - I accidently ruined a couple icebreaker tees though by not washing first - doh ! Lesson learned. Honestly though get stuff thats fits in the shoulder to underarm area and to hell with length - easy enough to customize.

troop

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A starts out long for me too (also 5'9" and I wear a medium), but I've noticed they shrink considerably length wise. If you already have a few, you might try some aggressive shrinking tactics (dry on the highest setting) to see if you can get them to a wearable length.

BroJo

Reaction score
I'm 5'9 myself and Banana Republic's basic crew and v-neck tees fit me great in size small. They're quality made and you can get 3 for about $40.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anyone else with the same problem, I thought I should update this. I found that Gap's athletic-cut tees are a great, slim cut and are much shorter than most brands. On sale they're about $10 each and are made of a soft, stretchy cotton. Target also has some nice athletic-cut tees that are reasonably short.

neato torpedo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
AA starts out long for me too (also 5'9" and I wear a medium), but I've noticed they shrink considerably length wise. If you already have a few, you might try some aggressive shrinking tactics (dry on the highest setting) to see if you can get them to a wearable length.

Yeah, I bought some AA a while ago and they were quite long, after a wash or two they fit perfectly.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asch
For anyone else with the same problem, I thought I should update this. I found that Gap's athletic-cut tees are a great, slim cut and are much shorter than most brands. On sale they're about $10 each and are made of a soft, stretchy cotton. Target also has some nice athletic-cut tees that are reasonably short.

Yeah, they're pima; I just a bought a few.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On a slightly unrelated note, I'm gonna take a bunch of shirts to the tailor tomorrow for shortening to BoO proportions. Can you shorten knits as well as woven shirts?

zacharydschroeder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
AA starts out long for me too (also 5'9" and I wear a medium), but I've noticed they shrink considerably length wise. If you already have a few, you might try some aggressive shrinking tactics (dry on the highest setting) to see if you can get them to a wearable length.

I just bought t-shirts 9 AA shirts, and I compared all of them. The Standard American (100 percent jersey cotton) runs about 3 inches wider and 1 inch shorter than the 50/50 poly-cotton blend. The vintage track t-shirt (my favorite so far) is the same width as the 50/50, and the same length as the Standard American. These are all size small (I'm 6'00" and 160 lbs, for reference). My AA shirts don't usually shrink much in length, but a noticeable amount in width, for some reason.

If you do decide to go with AA, I'd recommend Trendy Blanks. Standard t-shirts are around 6 dollars, and if you buy 12 or more items, they go down to 5 each.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just have them shortened by a tailor if there are no graphics or anything on the bottom...cheapest way to go...

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 5 ft 7 (maybe 5 ft 8 now) and about 160 pounds. Would you guys recommend me wearing size small or medium?

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a couple washes and wears, I've decided that the Target t-shirts are actually the best fitting of all. Slim guys with a reasonably athletic build, try the Mossimo athletic fit tees at Target! Seemingly unique among their competitors (AA, Gap, etc.), these shirts taper significantly from the chest to the waist, so that they fit me well in the shoulders and chest (unlike AA, which is too skinny) AND in the waist (unlike Gap's athletic fit, which is slightly too fat).

pinoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asch
After a couple washes and wears, I've decided that the Target t-shirts are actually the best fitting of all.

Slim guys with a reasonably athletic build, try the Mossimo athletic fit tees at Target! Seemingly unique among their competitors (AA, Gap, etc.), these shirts taper significantly from the chest to the waist, so that they fit me well in the shoulders and chest (unlike AA, which is too skinny) AND in the waist (unlike Gap's athletic fit, which is slightly too fat).

+1 Asch

The Mossimo athletic fit tees fit much better for me than AA. AA's chest area was always a bit restricting for me, but not so with the Mossimos. They're not too long, either.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads