• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shorter-collared dress shirts?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've come to conclusion through trial and error that shorter, smaller-collared dress shirts look better on me than the (too me) larger variety. I have found 1.5" with proportionally short point lengths to be ideal but the only label I've found that makes a quality slim-fitting shirt with collars this height is Ralph Lauren Black Label, and even at 30% off retail these are $200. I'd be more than happy to take advantage of many of the great deals in Italian shirts at ShopTheFinest and Virtual Clothes Horse but the collars all look like they're huge and would end up swallowing my neck. I have tried Jantzen and the fit is great but the fabrics have been poor.

Does anyone know of any other quality shirt brands with a slim cut and shorter spread collars?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd give Jantzen another try. I had them make a few shirts with that same RLBL-style collar. The fabric selection can be dicey, but I've had good luck with the twills and herringbones: a little heftier and seemingly higher quality. Forgot: Also J Crew has shorter point collars if you like the general shape. (I prefer a wider spread). And they're approved by a famous Italian house.
smile.gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I've come to conclusion through trial and error that shorter, smaller-collared dress shirts look better on me than the (too me) larger variety. I have found 1.5" with proportionally short point lengths to be ideal but the only label I've found that makes a quality slim-fitting shirt with collars this height is Ralph Lauren Black Label, and even at 30% off retail these are $200. I'd be more than happy to take advantage of many of the great deals in Italian shirts at ShopTheFinest and Virtual Clothes Horse but the collars all look like they're huge and would end up swallowing my neck. I have tried Jantzen and the fit is great but the fabrics have been poor.

Does anyone know of any other quality shirt brands with a slim cut and shorter spread collars?

How much are you willing to spend? Depending on the fabric, you can get MTM from anybody that uses the manufacturer "Individualized Shirts" for about $100-500 a shirt. I just picked up 5 from my local store this week that averaged out to about $120 a shirt. I have a different collar on probably each shirt.

I especially like the curved spread similar to this image.

Custom%20Dress%20Shirt%20Collar%203.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I believe D&G and Prada' shirts for the most part now have quite short collars.
They're not really spread, more of a point down, and tehy're not cheap, not are they the top quality, but they might just fit the bill.

Just based on google... http://www.tailorinstyle.com/76/the-...-can-i-use-it/

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are in HK hit up Ascot Chang, I do believe I saw some there available.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads