• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shortening Total Length of Dress Shirts?

PatriotsFan

Reaction score
I just recently bought two Charles Tyrwhitt Oxfords off ebay for $30 shipped. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way the chest and shoulders of the shirt fit. The only dilemma I have concerning the shirts, is the extremely long length of each shirt. Both of the tails of the shirts go way past my backside, hence causing the effect of appearing to wear a diaper when tucking in all the excess material.

Is it possible for a tailor to shorter the total length of a shirt by about 3-4 inches? How much would an alteration like this cost me?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PatriotsFan
the tails of the shirts go way past my backside

I find that long shirttails help to keep a shirt properly tucked. I have my shirttails cut three inches longer than my suitcoat length. How long are yours in relation to your suitcoat?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PatriotsFan
Both of the tails of the shirts go way past my backside, hence causing the effect of appearing to wear a diaper when tucking in all the excess material.

Sounds more like you need a slimmer fitting shirt. The longer tails will keep the shirt better tucked in, creating less poofyness. In my suits I have this kinda "sticky" waistband that keeps the shirts better tucked in. If you don't have that, maybe you could notch your belt one tighter.

Infinite42

Reaction score
I have my sport shirts shortened a bit - I think it costs me somewhere in the vicinity of $10-15.

wheelerray

Reaction score
CT's slim-fit shirts are shorter than the regular cut. Although I'm overweight (stomach 1" greater than chest diameter) the slims fit perfect, so that might be an option for future orders.

And per prior posters, shirt length can be fixed for about $10-15. Since they are tucked out of sight you could even use an 'alterations' person instead of a tailor.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 142 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40