• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shortening the length of an overcoat

leealexr

Reaction score
Hello!

I have the following APC overcoat:

Being only 5'7", I want to try shortening the coat's length by ~3".

However!

The coat has a 9" center vent.

By shortening the length of the coat, the remaining vent will only be 6".

Which might look a bit odd.

In your opinion, would it be better to just close the vent, or live with a 6" vent?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it would necessarily be odd, but without seeing the front of the jacket, it’s hard to say. Where are the pockets? Three inches may throw the balance off.

I wouldn’t close the vent either way.

leealexr

Reaction score
I don’t think it would necessarily be odd, but without seeing the front of the jacket, it’s hard to say. Where are the pockets? Three inches may throw the balance off.

I wouldn’t close the vent either way.

I pinned the jacket hem up ~3" and took some pictures here to get an idea of what it would look like:

What do ya think?

I'd lose the last button towards the hem, since it'd be too close to the bottom after shortening it.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my opinion -- I don't like overcoats that are this short (i.e. ending at the mid-thigh), especially those made of a thicker/heavier fabric. IMO a coat like that should be longer (at least to above the knee). Also, and again my opinion--trousers that slim/tapered don't really look proportional with a fuller overcoat such as the one you're wearing. The overall look is top-heavy.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that for an overcoat that is too short. A pea coat, sure. But the style and fabric of that coat looks a bit odd so short. Can you post a photo of it with the coat let out? I suspect it will look much better that way.

cweeks91

Reaction score
I agree with the above two replies. 5'7'' isn't that short at all, at least not enough to worry about shortening the length of a coat so much. I think full length would look great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads