• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shortening suit jacket sleeve by shoulder?

GeekSheek

Reaction score
I have had it done, so it's possible up to a point. It's a lot more expensive and may make the shoulders fit too tightly.

ykurtz

Reaction score
I had it done on several occasions. Worked 2 out of 3 times. The 2 times it worked was with a bespoke tailor who charged me $200 bucks. But it was worth it! The one time it failed it was with an alterations tailor...messed up the shoulders.

Wicky

Reaction score
Also had this done on several occasions and the result was perfect (shoulders put in again and with waterfall effect again as I had requested). I am only trusting the best tailor know in my country for this work and he is considerably more expensive. Costs are roughly EUR 100 (USD 130) for this work. Disclaimer: I had lenght taken in just a couple of cm (up to 1" inch max).

wintourh007

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It is possible I'd rather have it altered through the shoulders than anywhere else.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is possible I'd rather have it altered through the shoulders than anywhere else.

Not sure what this means. If you have working buttonholes, I can't think of any other way to do it. If you haven't got working button holes, why wouldn't you just do it the normal way?

I have had this done a few times. It is typically four or five times more expensive. As long as you're not trying to shorten it more than an inch or two, it should work fine.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure what this means. If you have working buttonholes, I can't think of any other way to do it. If you haven't got working button holes, why wouldn't you just do it the normal way?
I have had this done a few times. It is typically four or five times more expensive. As long as you're not trying to shorten it more than an inch or two, it should work fine.

It is the best way to do it but is expensive as mentioned here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads