Shortening suit jacket sleeve by shoulder?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Brianpore, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Anyone here with experience of shortening a jacket sleeve by the shoulder instead of the cuff due to working button holes? Any info would be great. Is it doable, without a problem from an experience tailor? Thanks!!

2. GeekSheek

GeekSheek Member

I have had it done, so it's possible up to a point. It's a lot more expensive and may make the shoulders fit too tightly.

3. ykurtz

ykurtz Senior member

I had it done on several occasions. Worked 2 out of 3 times. The 2 times it worked was with a bespoke tailor who charged me $200 bucks. But it was worth it! The one time it failed it was with an alterations tailor...messed up the shoulders.

4. Wicky

Wicky Senior member

Also had this done on several occasions and the result was perfect (shoulders put in again and with waterfall effect again as I had requested). I am only trusting the best tailor know in my country for this work and he is considerably more expensive. Costs are roughly EUR 100 (USD 130) for this work. Disclaimer: I had lenght taken in just a couple of cm (up to 1" inch max).

5. wintourh007

wintourh007 Active Member

It is possible I'd rather have it altered through the shoulders than anywhere else.

6. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Not sure what this means. If you have working buttonholes, I can't think of any other way to do it. If you haven't got working button holes, why wouldn't you just do it the normal way?

I have had this done a few times. It is typically four or five times more expensive. As long as you're not trying to shorten it more than an inch or two, it should work fine.

7. GBR

GBR Senior member

It is the best way to do it but is expensive as mentioned here.