• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shortening Sugar Cane 1947 leg length

RCastle

Reaction score
Just bought a pair of one wash 1947 Sugar Cane's from the 'Japanese fantastic denim store' on Ebay. Great service, Michiy responds very quickly to emails. These are great jeans if you like the LVC 1947 cut.

I need to take two inches of the leg length; founcd a local chain stitcher. Any advice on when to get them shortened; straight after washing, or after a few days/week when they've loosened up a bit.

Please note I prefer not to turn the jeans up (to reveal the selvage) so I really want them shorter, and though I realise it is de rigour to hold off washing till after the next Olympics, the wife, god bless her, can only stand a month between washes. A small price to pay for a cracking pair of jeans.

Advice would be most welcome.

minya

Reaction score
if they're one-wash, they're not going to shrink anymore, so hem them to whatever you want.

Where are you and where did you find the chain-stitch capable tailor, btw?

RCastle

Reaction score
I live in Melbourne, Australia. There's a decent jean shop that sells Nudie and Evisu. They use an Italian tailor who claims he can do it. But after today's World Cup win I'll give him a few days to sober up before I let him loose on my SCs.

minya

Reaction score
ah, OK. I thought you were in the US, so I was curious (the amount of tailors with chainstitching machines in the USA seems to have dwindled to a number that can be counted on one, or maybe two hands).

roundhouse

Reaction score
hi
were u reffering to the shop dakota 501?

may i ask how much u got the canes for, including postage? and how long it took to ship to australia?

RCastle

Reaction score
Hi Roundhouse
Not Dakota, Cactus Jam for Men in QV. Now I've contacted the tailor (in Lonsdale St) yet but the shops says definately chain sticking. I also spoke to Dakota - no one there has heard of chain stitching which is odd because though they are young they are usually very clued up. They put me on to their tailor, Mini, just around the corner and she hadn't heard of chain stitching either. I suppose it'll come down to if they can match the stitching style or they try and sell me something else.
Let me know if you want both contact details.

cielo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by minya
ah, OK. I thought you were in the US, so I was curious (the amount of tailors with chainstitching machines in the USA seems to have dwindled to a number that can be counted on one, or maybe two hands).
I think you're in the bay area. Anyways, I'm having a pair of jeans chainstitched at a place in Marin. He was a little reluctant to chainstich the jeans I just brought in, but I reminded him that they chainstitched the RRDS I'm currently wearing. He probably thought the denim was too heavy. Do you know of any other places in the bay that chainstitch?

RCastle

Reaction score
Hi Cielo

Boy I wish I was in the Bay Area. Coming to you from downtown Melbourne, Australia.

greentea

Reaction score
i wish i was in the gold coast, strolin the beach having a VB.

petng

Reaction score
How was the Quality of the hemming. Also what was the AUD$ of the sugarcane?

minya

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cielo
I think you're in the bay area. Anyways, I'm having a pair of jeans chainstitched at a place in Marin. He was a little reluctant to chainstich the jeans I just brought in, but I reminded him that they chainstitched the RRDS I'm currently wearing. He probably thought the denim was too heavy. Do you know of any other places in the bay that chainstitch?
Whoa, where!? Argh. I wish I had read this thread earlier!

petng

Reaction score
I called Cactus in QV, yet they said they never heard of Sugarcane.

cielo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RCastle
Hi Cielo

Boy I wish I was in the Bay Area. Coming to you from downtown Melbourne, Australia.

Yeah, I like it here. I'd love to visit Aus, though...

Originally Posted by minya
Whoa, where!? Argh. I wish I had read this thread earlier!
Jaime's Tailoring in San Rafael. I'm not an expert, but I think the quality is pretty good. I'm happy with it, and will continue to give him my business. If you want to inspect his chainstitching in person, pm me and I can show you a few jeans.

RCastle

Reaction score
In my orginal post (see above) I said that I had purchased them on ebay. No bidding, just buy outright. Very quick service. I just took delivery of a pair of Stdio D'artisan's. Posted on Saturday, arrived yesterday.

Note: as the website says, ordering a 34 inch gives you a 34 inch waist. But I've been tracking some of the Sugar Cane links here and in Superfuture, and there are people that claim they stretch after a few weeks. I concur with this. What was once a very tight 34 inch waste is now quite relaxed after 4 washes. I will definaterly go for a 33 inch waste next time.

rnrswitch

Reaction score
4 washes? How long have you had these things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads