• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shortening neckties

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of my ties end up too long when tied with a FIH knot. Can they be shortened? Any recommendations on places that could handle that?

dan

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I'll try the Prince Albert knot and see how it works. Tiecrafters wants $20 per tie to shorten one. I can buy a good tie off ebay for that much.

dan

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dan,

I agree with everyone else, go for the prince Albert or start watching eBay as you suggested.

If you want a tie shortened by a dry cleaner or someone like that, as a general rule they will quickly open a tie cut out part of the silk and interlining and sew it back together. Often this can be acceptable, but where you tie your knot will not be the same width, and the quality of the sewing may or may not be the same as the original maker.

If your tie is something really beautiful that you want to keep then you also need to consider going to the next level which is basically opening the whole tie and adjusting the shape of the tie so that your knot will tie the same as before, and then very carefully resewing the tie.

Think of it this way: If you had a classic 1968 mustang that you really love and it had rust but the engine was in great shape, you might be tempted to pull it apart and completely redo it. It can be done, but it is an expensive and time consuming process.

Correctly, shortening a tie is the same. Thats why we don't shorten ties. It is almost easier for us to make a new tie with a custom made pattern.

arvi

Reaction score
i've had some shortened by my tailor..not a problem and should cost much less than tiecrafters

Phil

Reaction score
I would get it shortened if its too long. Arvi's suggestion sounds great. You cant just tell someone to use a windsor or something similar without alot of other information.

* What if the material of the tie is thick? A windsor knot would make a huge knot and look silly to the wearer.

*The kind of collars he likes to wear arent mentioned. He might prefer collars that dont really look good with bigger knots.

*He may not like big knots. I know I dont. I like a really tight FIH, and it looks just right with my tennis collars. If I changed to a windsor it would look silly. I dont have the space to accomodate such a big knot.

If you dont want to spend any money to get it shortened, simply do what a friend of mine who works at Saks does. He puts the thin end of the tie in his dress shirt. Just puts it in there, and no one knows its there.

arvi

Reaction score

If you dont want to spend any money to get it shortened, simply do what a friend of mine who works at Saks does.  He puts the thin end of the tie in his dress shirt.  Just puts it in there, and no one knows its there.
almost forgot..this is what i do most often

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried the Prince Albert knot yesterday and it wasn't too much bigger than a FIH. Half windsor knots are too big for most of my collars. I may go with the inexpensive tie shortening since tucking the tail end of a tie into my shirt would bug me.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

dan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads