Shortening Hermes Belt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nycwallst, Jul 22, 2010.

1. nycwallst

nycwallst Senior member

I recently purchased a Hermes belt, preowned. The length is too long. Considering the construction of this belt, what should I do? Have a new hole punched in? Or, is it possible to have it cut and resown? If so, where do I get this down and at what approximate price?

Thanks!

2. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

I hear that if the belt is made by Hermès, it's completely different from shortening any other belt.

3. nycwallst

nycwallst Senior member

I hear that if the belt is made by Hermès, it's completely different from shortening any other belt.

I'll assume that wasn't sarcasm and agree. Hermes belts are different because the buckle doesn't cover the end of the belt - so it can't simply be cut like a traditional belt.

4. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

Post a photo of the buckle and how the belt is attached to it. There's a thread on shortening belts here.

5. mimile

mimile Senior member

Could you show us a pic of this belt centered on buckle area?

6. mljones99

mljones99 Senior member

Why don't you bring it to an Hermes store and have them send it to a craftsman? We do that all the time for clients. If you just need a hole punched, any store can do that on the spot.

7. videocrew

videocrew Senior member

[​IMG]
    For reference. I think going to an Hermes store is the correct answer.

8. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I know for a fact that Hermes belts have patented technology in the attachment of the buckle to the leather.

Only a selected few Hermes artisans know how to shorten a Hermes belt.

Your ONLY bet is to send it back to the Paris workshop where it was made to have it shortened.

9. Advent

Advent Senior member

I recently purchased a Hermes belt, preowned. The length is too long. Considering the construction of this belt, what should I do? Have a new hole punched in? Or, is it possible to have it cut and resown? If so, where do I get this down and at what approximate price? Thanks!
    Most of the responses above are incorrect information. First off, your User ID suggests you live or work on Wall Street.... so why not go to Hermes on Wall Street with the belt? They can send it up to Claude, at Hermes on Madison Avenue. He's a craftsperson and can adjust it for you.

10. Advent

Advent Senior member

I know for a fact that Hermes belts have patented technology in the attachment of the buckle to the leather.

Only a selected few Hermes artisans know how to shorten a Hermes belt.

Your ONLY bet is to send it back to the Paris workshop where it was made to have it shortened.

It's hardly "patented technology". It's a strip of leather with holes in it.

11. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

The amount of snark in this thread is ridiculous.

Solution: go to Hermès store, tell them your problem. They will advise with a number of potential solutions. Pick the one most pleasing to you. Give them your belt, wait the requisite number of days, pick it up. Wear belt happily.

12. Advent

Advent Senior member

If so, where do I get this down and at what approximate price? Thanks!
    Be advised that nothing at H is cheap, including repairs/alterations. (Punching a hole is the cheapest way out.)

13. oshinex

oshinex Senior member

Watch it turn out to be fake. It would be a perfect ending to this.

14. ndw

ndw Senior member

I just had my tailor poke additional holes in mine when I lost a bunch of weight (with a special leather hole punch). The additional holes end up on the leather strap that slides underneath the buckle and the strap that the buckle is held by so they are completely unseen.

15. nycwallst

nycwallst Senior member

I just had my tailor poke additional holes in mine when I lost a bunch of weight (with a special leather hole punch). The additional holes end up on the leather strap that slides underneath the buckle and the strap that the buckle is held by so they are completely unseen.

I like how that sounds. Hermes does overcharge for nearly everything, and spending $200 (guestimate) to have a belt cut and resown is hardly worth it in my opinion.

Thanks, guys.