• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shortening blazer sleeve question

bsyde82

Reaction score
I just purchased a rag and bone blazer, and it fits ideally in almost all respects except for the sleeves...which was expected as I always shorten the sleeves, but this particular blazer has a one button working cuff. Can a tailor do something about this?? I would hate to have to return this otherwise perfect blazer because of this problem.

bsyde82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
They can take it up at the shoulder.

that sounds like major surgery...will that **** up the shoulder? as it stands right now, the shoulders are perfect

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsyde82
that sounds like major surgery...will that **** up the shoulder? as it stands right now, the shoulders are perfect

A skilled tailor can do this for about $120 per arm. (Re)Settting the sleeve head correctly and keeping the proper sleeve pitch are where the skill truly matters.

___

bsyde82

Reaction score
would it be that difficult to shorten the sleeve, and basically create a new button hole? or transform the cuff into a non-working cuff...I don't really care about having a functional cuff

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsyde82
would it be that difficult to shorten the sleeve, and basically create a new button hole? or transform the cuff into a non-working cuff...I don't really care about having a functional cuff

If there's plenty of space left between sleeve buttons and cuffs, just shorten it from that end.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the issue was the working hole- its hard to do anything with a hole.
Moving the button must be trivial.

bsyde82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
If there's plenty of space left between sleeve buttons and cuffs, just shorten it from that end.

aiye, that's the problem...they place the damn button pretty near the cuff. dammit, these rag & bone blazers are made w/o any possible accomodation for any tailoring adjustments. I thought also about shortening it maybe 0.5" - the proportions/pocket placement would definitely work, but the bottom hem is not the typical hem I find on suit jackets

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got back from my tailor and he said he would shorten the sleeves and put working cuffs in for $94 total for both sleeves (4 buttons per arm). Why don't you just have the tailor redo the cuffs; that way you could have all of them all work, and it sounds like it would be cheaper this way.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i am assuming there is only one button on each sleeve. rather than four buttons with one of them working on each sleeve. either way, if the sleeve must be
shortened to a point above the buttonhole you have it made. if not, then to shorten from the top is all that can be done.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
i am assuming there is only one button on each sleeve. rather than four buttons with one of them working on each sleeve. either way, if the sleeve must be
shortened to a point above the buttonhole you have it made. if not, then to shorten from the top is all that can be done.

Do you ever create new, functioning buttonholes when shortening the sleeves? Are there any disadvantages to having this done?

hangten

Reaction score
On a related note, how much space is there typically between the end of the sleeve and the first functional button hole? I have a coat with 1.5 inches between the end of the sleeve and the first buttonhole and am thinking about shortening about .5 inch.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to revive this thread...

I just received a 44L suit I believe. Usually I'm a 42R/44R. While everything else is perfect, the sleeves are obviously too long.

I need to shorten the sleeves of a blazer by about one inch, which would put the end of the sleeve right where the first cuff button is. Each sleeve has 4 non-functioning buttons. I'm not too sure if I can pay $100/arm to have the sleeves taken up at the shoulder hem, nor am I sure I would want to take the risk of having it messed up.

So I'm thinking that I just want to get the buttons moved. But I kind of want to keep 4 buttons at the exact proportions of the jacket. This would mean moving at least 2 buttons. So what would happen to the button-hole stitching? If they are removed, would it still be visible? Could a tailor remanufacture the exact same factory stitching higher up? And how much would this cost?

Or am I just SOL and should just try to resell this suit?

Lastly if anyone from the South Bay area reads this, can you recommend me a good tailor (not too expensive as I am a student!)? Thanks!

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I suppose another option is to take up the sleeve as much as possible (from the bottom), and then if needed, sew on more (then the original 1) buttons above or below the functional one to visually maintain the correct proportions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads