• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shortening a suit jacket (very specific question)

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Here's the situation: I have a MTM Zegna suit that I had done when suits were being worn a bit longer. The jacket is half way between a regular and a long. However, all they did was take a stock regular pattern and add an inch at the bottom. The interior tag even lists this one as a regular. The distance from the bottom of the pocket flap to the bottom of the jacket is exactly one inch longer than on all my other suits. Is there any reason a good tailor couldn't take the full inch off? I know that an inch is usually too much, but in this case would it work fine?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can't answer without pics, But it seems doable.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
do-able. had one done yrs ago.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If it's truly as you describe, then it should be doable. Just be careful - the pockets aren't the only thing to be measuring from. I'd argue the most important measurement is from the buttoning point. You may throw the balance way off.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
If it's truly as you describe, then it should be doable. Just be careful - the pockets aren't the only thing to be measuring from. I'd argue the most important measurement is from the buttoning point. You may throw the balance way off.

Thanks, I will certainly take that into account. My guess is that nothing changed on this jacket vs. a stock 40r besides lengthening by an inch at the bottom, and that the buttons are in the exact place of the stock jacket, but I'll be sure to fully investigate.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doctor Taki
Just wear it as is and stop being so neurotic over a stupid jacket.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doctor Taki
Just wear it as is and stop being so neurotic over a stupid jacket.

Almost but more like:

Just shorten it to where you are sure you like it and stop being so neurotic over the "balance being thrown off." Assuming you will shorten it within reason, no one will notice and the jacket will be fine. I figure your tailor should tell you what is within reason, but from my own experience, 1 inch is easily done without harm. The general consensus on here seems to be that 1.5 inches is the most that can be shortened before running into the risk of make the jacket "seem off" due to the buttons and pocket positions.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doable. DON'T DO IT. I had it done a few years ago on new Isaia jacket. It looks fine
but I obsess about the fact that the pockets are a bit low or that the vents seem a bit
short. I know that's my neurosis, but when I wore button down shirts thirty years
ago I obsessed over collar roll. Bottom line: It matters to me and that's what ultimately
counts.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 76 16.8%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 150 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 75 16.6%
  • 31 - 40