• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shortening a pair of corduroy pants?

lsquare

Reaction score
I want to buy a pair of cords, but I often wear 29x30. The only pair that I can buy with a waist size of 29 has a length of 32. Would it be possible to take it to a tailor and get it shortened?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sure, hemming is pretty normal for any type of pants.

metkirk

Reaction score
If your cord pants are tapered, then hemming them would make the leg opening wider so be careful.

Max

Reaction score
Yes. Hemming is probably the easiest alteration you can do.

ghostdeini

Reaction score
notice how they are called "straight-leg". so no, if there is a taper i doubt it is extreme at all. and you should definitely wait until those are on sale. I bought a couple pairs of those last year and let me tell you now that the fabric they use is thin and the corduroy grooves wear down pretty quickly. maybe they've changed the fabric since then, but otherwise it's definitely not worth $70 a pair
teacha.gif

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are the jcrew cords compared to Levis? I'm trying to find some Levis 514 for the slimmer fit and almost no places have them. JCpenny has huge sections of Levis but apparently no cords. My last resort is probably Urban Outfitters but I don't much feel like paying $50 for pants when other normal Levis can be had for $20-30.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are the jcrew cords compared to Levis? I'm trying to find some Levis 514 for the slimmer fit and almost no places have them. JCpenny has huge sections of Levis but apparently no cords. My last resort is probably Urban Outfitters but I don't much feel like paying $50 for pants when other normal Levis can be had for $20-30.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by metkirk
If your cord pants are tapered, then hemming them would make the leg opening wider so be careful.

we're talking about moving the hem up 2 inches. the most it could reasonably widen is an half inch, and i doubt even that.

additionally, they're straight leg, so there should be no taper at that point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads