• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shorten shirt sleeves

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I searched but didn't find a good topic discussion on this.

How difficult is it for tailors to shorten dress shirt sleeves by about 2-3 inches? Should they do it from the shoulders or is it okay to do it from the cuff side?

I'm bringing this up b/c I was at Thomas Pink today and noticed they were having a nice sale ($79-119 for a lot of their shirts). Unfortunately, their slim fit shirts come in one standard sleeve length for any given neck size. My concern is that recutting the sleeve will mess up the proportions on the shirts?

DandySF

Reaction score
This is a common alteration. I have it done by moving the cuff up. No doubt Pink has a local tailor who does this for them.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also have had shirts shortened via cuff. My tailor shortens the cuff and also moves the side buttons (don't know what they're really called) so the whole shape stays fairly constant. Any small excess material can easily be tapered or pleated.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's easier to move the cuff up, but if you're doing more than 1/2" or so you should also move the placket up. At 2-3" you absolutely have to.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a big deal. I also noticed this sale and it's a good one!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've had shirt sleeves shortened from the shoulder and from the wrist. shoulders need more skill though, so best if you know your tailor.

jasminjany

Reaction score
Shorten shirt sleeves you can do in house also. Just cut it with the good seizer as well as no need to take any help of the tailor. It is very good idea for them who like to wear sleeveless shirts.

jbharris88

Reaction score
What kind of cost are we looking at to move up the entire placket 2-3"? I know just the cuff is pretty cheap, but I've been getting a lot of crazy quotes to move the placket. Sucks for those who do not have 32/33 inch arms + the main reason I've gone MTM.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For somebody that makes shirts, moving the placket up is no big deal. For a typical alterationist, though, it's probably pretty daunting.

DandySF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbharris88
What kind of cost are we looking at to move up the entire placket 2-3"? I know just the cuff is pretty cheap, but I've been getting a lot of crazy quotes to move the placket. Sucks for those who do not have 32/33 inch arms + the main reason I've gone MTM.

I've paid between $20-30 to have this done.

SouthNarc

Reaction score

For somebody that makes shirts, moving the placket up is no big deal. For a typical alterationist, though, it's probably pretty daunting.

I have several shirts that need sleeves professionally shortened like this and no local tailor/shirtmaker to do so. Do any members have a recommendation for an online resource where you can send the shirt in and specify exactly how much you want taken off? I don't mind paying for good work.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does "moving the cuff up" change the size of the cuff? Or are they cutting material out above the cuff and re-attaching the cuff?

Ivar

Reaction score

Does "moving the cuff up" change the size of the cuff? Or are they cutting material out above the cuff and re-attaching the cuff?

Correct.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads