• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shorten Jacket Length

msanchez0125

Reaction score
This is my first experience with a custom suit. The button stance is lower than I expected, and the jacket length is a lot longer than my other jackets. I think I stood up too straight when the measurements were being taken, as my tailor explained to me that more length is added in the front of the coat when someone has erect posture. I'm thinking of having the coat rebalanced by shortening the front more than the back.

How much can I take off the length in the front without ruining the balance? My concern is that the button stance is already on the low side, so any shortening may ruin the whole coat.

Thank you.

Attachments

Ben W

Reaction score
I think that both the button stance and the length of the jacket look good. The trend lately has been for shorter jackets, but frankly that isn't a very flattering look on most people. I wouldn't modify it.

Edit: It does look like the sleeve isn't rotated properly for you, though. See the wrinkles toward the top when you're standing upright with your arms at your side? That shouldn't happen. That should be smooth. That is something that can be fixed, but it is a major job, and really something they should've caught on the initial measurements.

Last edited:

msanchez0125

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, Ben. And I agree that the sleeve pitch is off a little.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.