• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short vs Too Short: New pictures (p3) -- critique welcome!

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
there are some people in the waywt thread who need to get their pants hemmed to no break

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
This one I don't get. The body may be short, but it isn't tight at all. .

To me the one on the left with the buttons done looks like it's pulling up. The one on the right with one button I think done looks better.

Only a couple of the jackets look too short to me. IIRC 1st and fourth of the intial post.

literasyme

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
To me the one on the left with the buttons done looks like it's pulling up. The one on the right with one button I think done looks better.
Interesting. I suspect much of what looks like pulling is serious wrinkling. I shouldn't blame Yoox for this: when I received the package, I opened it, threw the jacket on, took a few shots, and put it back in the box before I left town for a couple of days, doing such a poor job of folding the coat that it came out afterwards looking as you've seen it above. Here is a very poor quality image of what it looked like initially, with the top two buttons done up. I don't think it looks tight -- does it?
Photo64.jpg
(No, I don't normally wear my shirts like that... just for the photo, to get a sense of the jacket collar fit!)
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I'm too critical.
lol8[1].gif

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would recommend letting out the sleeves to the proper length, unbutton the top button, and just wear it for awhile. The things that Yoox sells have been in storage for a long time and being folded and compressed tend to make it look boxy initially.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally you want a V shape to your torso. Nothing exaggerated, but you will look younger and more athletic in clothing that is not tailored to make you look pear-shaped. Ladies are more likely to want an hourglass shape to their body. One thing that will add width to your hips and maybe give you a girlish hourglass shape: low rise pants worn under a jacket. Low rise pants do this especially if you wear a belt and the waist is suppressed and the shoulders are trim on your jacket. Higher rise pants conceal the bulk of the belt at the narrowest point of your torso. Male models might have a 10-inch drop, and they never have wide girlish hips. This is why a short jacket and high-rise pants can look good on them in catalogs and runway shots. Another thing that can make your hips look broader [pun intended] is that horizontal line created by the bottom of the jacket, especially if the jacket color contrasts with your pants color. This is why shorter suit jackets are a little easier to pull off, in my opinion, than shorter blazers. And if the jacket ends at the widest part of your hips, and projects like an awning over your thighs, then forget about it, you look girlish or pear-shaped. If you have short legs and want to wear a short jacket to get more balance between your top and bottom, that makes sense, but the short jacket is more likely to work if you are lanky in the hips & waist, like yfyf, and wearing a suit with higher-rise pants. My build is like yfyf's but more middle-aged; I have some shorter jackets that work over higher-rise pants in lightweight summer materials. And I have some shorter jackets that look awful over low-rise moleskins & a belt. In my experience, the longer jacket over the higher-rise pants is more flattering on most male bodies because this de-emphasizes the hips and does not advertise the man as ready to bear your children

coverto

Reaction score
Not sure why you keep buttoning that top button - that needs to stay undone in any case, and should alleviate the pear shape effect that's drawing some concern. Seems that the jacket is a touch short, which is a pity because to my tastes it appears to be a great fit otherwise. However, as other posters have said, it could work in a Thom Browne sort of way, although it is three-button. But to pull that off, I think you've got to find some different trousers - khakis no good, and these orange ones seem to have some plentiful and thick material around the hips. Maybe something gray, solid and slim that's cuffed, as unimaginative as that may sound.

literasyme

Reaction score
Alright, one last try! Many thanks, again, for all the feedback and advice. I think I'll hang on to the jacket -- these latest shots, to my mind, are more representative of how it looks in real life, and I don't find that too short or too pear-shaped. Disagree?

DSCF1578.jpg
DSCF1581.jpg
DSCF1597.jpg

coverto

Reaction score
Looks great in the upper two photos. I'd like to think it's because you're wearing darker pants, and you've thus landed upon a good strategy for this jacket. But I fear that the upper two look better because your feet are cut off, concealing the length of your legs versus your torso. And maybe in the top left, which looks best, it's because you're slouching to your right and bringing the jacket down a bit.

SlamMan

Reaction score
The shorter jackets don't look bad, but do look a lot more casual. A handfull of the jackets in this thread are definately too short for my taste but nothing looks ridiculous.

literasyme

Reaction score
I thought I'd update this with the end result, especially in light of the discussion of that now infamous Borrelli jacket.... I had the sleeves let out and my tailor cleaned up the waist and back a little. To my eye, with the sleeves at the right length, the jacket doesn't look too short anymore -- but that may just be me. (The lapels need a pressing -- the roll on the button side is too low.)
DSCF1693.jpg
DSCF1694.jpg
And a very blurry shot for the full-body effect:
DSCF1690.jpg

literasyme

Reaction score
Before this thread slips off back into oblivion: critiques welcome!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The jacket looks good but it seems that your pants are a bit full in the thigh, at least to my eye.

literasyme

Reaction score
laugh.gif
They were a little droopy at the end of the day, but otherwise, it's the photo -- if they'd be much tighter they'd be flannel cycling pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads